Red foot baby NOT eating..HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanker

5 Year Member
HELP!!!
I just bought a 6 month old red foot cherry head tortoise 7 days ago and it is NOT eating/drinking.
Its substrate is peat moss and coconut shavings. during the day the temp is between 75-82' with the heat source being a heat lamp. Also he is given light from a UVB light, both being on for 12 hours in the day time.
When those two light are turned off we have a heat pad from below and the average temp is between 65-70'. Both heat sources are only used on one half of the enclosure.
The only time he drinks is when I put him in the water, 2 times a day. I am giving him fresh Romain lettuce and offer tomatoes (sometimes). I have placed 2 water dishes in his enclosure and put food in 3-4 different spots so when he might move he might run into some food!
He will NOT eat. I have tried putting it up to his mouth placing it in front of him.
He doesn't move much at all and seems to be sleeping always...
I am very concerned and needing help for my little friend ):

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Your temp. is too low. I keep my vivarium at 85 throughout the whole enclosure. On one side there is a long tube 5.0 UVB light...and then toward the middle is a heat emitter that is on 24/7. Redfoots don't like too much light, and need warmth to digest their food.
Also Romain lettuce and tomatoes is not a healthy diet. This is the care sheet that I've raised mine on for three years , and he's doing great.
http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'd try to up the temps to the mid to upper 80's on your warm end. Be sure the tort is well hydrated as well. Soakings may be in order at this point.

Do you have pics of the tort and setup?

How are you measuring the temps and humidity?

Do you have a mister to spray his shell a few times a day?

I'd also get some mazuri tort food. Soaked for a minute in warm water, it is pretty hard for a tort to resist...

What type of UVB do you have?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
He posted this twice. I just posted on his other one. :(

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Looks like you need to do your research my friend. Mine likes the mid-80's and keep in mind that babies are extremely shy and will sleep the majority of their time in their hide. Keep it humid, put the food in front of its face, and soak him daily if you'd like in WARM water. I have to soak my baby as well, otherwise it will hide all day. Go to turtletary.com for the caresheet. Why would you buy an animal that you have no idea how to care for?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
tanker said:
HELP!!!
I just bought a 6 month old red foot cherry head tortoise 7 days ago and it is NOT eating/drinking.
Its substrate is peat moss and coconut shavings. during the day the temp is between 75-82' with the heat source being a heat lamp. Also he is given light from a UVB light, both being on for 12 hours in the day time.
When those two light are turned off we have a heat pad from below and the average temp is between 65-70'. Both heat sources are only used on one half of the enclosure.
The only time he drinks is when I put him in the water, 2 times a day. I am giving him fresh Romain lettuce and offer tomatoes (sometimes). I have placed 2 water dishes in his enclosure and put food in 3-4 different spots so when he might move he might run into some food!
He will NOT eat. I have tried putting it up to his mouth placing it in front of him.
He doesn't move much at all and seems to be sleeping always...
I am very concerned and needing help for my little friend ):

Unfortunately, you do need to rethink the basic cares some. Besides redfoots.com, you can also try https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/red-foot-care

tanker

5 Year Member
HarleyK said:
Looks like you need to do your research my friend. Mine likes the mid-80's and keep in mind that babies are extremely shy and will sleep the majority of their time in their hide. Keep it humid, put the food in front of its face, and soak him daily if you'd like in WARM water. I have to soak my baby as well, otherwise it will hide all day. Go to turtletary.com for the caresheet. Why would you buy an animal that you have no idea how to care for?
Yes I have been doing my research A LOT and have now realized he is a hatchling and NOT 6 months old. We were told he was 6 months from the breeder and he is not.. He is probably closer to 6 weeks.
How old are your babies and what do you feed them? what about drinking water or are they fine with misting and food?
Thanks for your help.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
tanker said:
HarleyK said:
Yes I have been doing my research A LOT and have now realized he is a hatchling and NOT 6 months old. We were told he was 6 months from the breeder and he is not.. He is probably closer to 6 weeks.
How old are your babies and what do you feed them? what about drinking water or are they fine with misting and food?
Thanks for your help.
turtletary.com caresheets.Read it,learn it,use it.It's simple and best of all,it works.Everything you're asking about is addressed in this caresheet.Print out a copy to have on hand.There is an incredible amount of information condensed on this sheet,so read it carefully.Always provide drinking water.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoot Nerd does not advocate soaking. He was the one who told me not to soak mine when I got him......so there are many differences of opinions on soaking, and everything else about the care of Red foots. You have to do what you feel is right for your tort. When I first got mine, I was in tears because of the many different things people told me to do. I was really becoming stressed out and was wishing I never got this little Cherry Head. Then after a while I incorporated different care sheets until I got it right, and everything fell into place. I'm sure you did your research, so don't worry, in a few months everything will be much easier. Just keep asking questions, and learning. I am still learning something new every day after three years.
I leave a clean dish of water that is easy for him to climb in and out of. This is what I feed my hatchling in the order of highest in calcium: grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, dandelion leaves, curley endive, escarole, and turnip greens. You can also get some Spring mix and feed that. I only give fruit every two days...no banana or citrus, because it gave my other guy the runs. I would just take him out and sit him in his water dish and put his food next to it, and then leave him alone. On his way out of the water dish he might grab a few nibbles. This would be less stressful for him than taking him out and soaking him in a different dish. I also mist him with warm water every time he comes out to eat. Don't keep his substrate too wet, as this can cause shell rot. Just mist him and any plants you have in there, if you have any. I hope this helps you.

tanker

5 Year Member
Thanks terryo!
It does help and your right Im stressing out and very upset. The olny place I was soaking him was in his water dish. I feel like its the only thing making him drink right now..... Ugh I dont know I am going to follow NERDS care by not handling him and uping the temp and NOT using UVB light but I might put him in his water dish every now and then b/c when I do.... he drinks.
I will keep you updated :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
what about adding vitamins to his water? also I think for now anyways the less handling the better. just my humble opinion. wishing you best of luck on the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.