Red eared slider and lighting

Chris16

Hello, my sister recently got a baby red eared slider and is a bit confused on the type of lighting needed. We did purchase a uvb light but are not sure if that is all that is needed. Also how can we determine if it is a strong enough uvb. We purchased a zoo med repti sun 5.0 mini compact fluorescent lamp 13 watts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The compacts can cause eye problems. I would return it and get a mercury vapor bulb. They need UVB and heat to bask under. The Mercury vapor bulb will give off heat, UVB and light.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.redearslider.com/startup.html

This is a good link for the info to get the proper start up in place....these are a great turtle, don't be fooled by their cuteness--they will put on a show like they have not eaten EVER...and will eat and eat and eat, oh--and eat..... so be strong when setting up their daily routine when it comes to food and amounts :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! I'm so sorry you got sucked into buying that darned light. I wish there were a way to let everyone know BEFORE they buy that it is a bad choice for young turtles and tortoises.

Chris16

The compacts can cause eye problems. I would return it and get a mercury vapor bulb. They need UVB and heat to bask under. The Mercury vapor bulb will give off heat, UVB and light.
Thank you! And how do I know how many watts to get?