Recomended Heat Light Source

Shorty

Location (City and/or State)
San Miguel CA
I need to look for a heat light/lamp for my Petie.. I know red bulbs are a no go.... I was wondering if this is the coil lamp that everyone is talking about?Screenshot_20191210-065742.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's what we call a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). Many of us use them for heat without light. You can't go wrong using that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Shorty
Are you looking to add ambient heat to the whole enclosure, or are you trying to create a basking area? What species are we talking about, and what size?

Shorty

San Miguel CA
@Shorty
Are you looking to add ambient heat to the whole enclosure, or are you trying to create a basking area? What species are we talking about, and what size?
Petie is a Russian Tortise, been told he is closer to an adult, he is roughly about 5-6"... I have his basking area this would be to add heat to his enclosure. It's been getting down into the 30s-40s at night in our area.. he is indoors but the temp still is around 60° so this would be for added heat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is Petie
Are you sure Petie is a male? Post a pic of the tail and anal scutes, and we can share our thoughts.

The CHE placed over the middle of the enclosure will give you more warmth. In larger enclosure you might need more than one CHE if you are trying to warm a larger area. A large closed chamber would make this much easier. You don't have to high humidity in a closed chamber. You can keep it relatively dry for an adult Russian, but having things closed off will make it MUCH easier to maintain the temperatures you are looking for, AND save a bunch on your electric bill since you'll be using a fraction of the electricity to keep things warm.

Shorty

San Miguel CA
What is CHE??

I think he is a male because i looked at his tail... It's a bit longer with a scale at the end of it, so I compared it to some pics online and kinda went from there.. I am a newer tort parent so I'm open to suggestions... I will try to get better pics of him and his tail today...