Ideas for a fussy Hermann

Rjwills

Hi guys, my hermann (Sheldon) is about 7 months old. He's the first tortoise I have had and finding it difficult to get him to eat anything.
He used to love dandelions and the leaves and odd bits of fruit/veg. Now when I put dandelions in there he sniffs and walks off. I have looked at different things like butternut squash/ sweet potato but he turns away at that. He loves his pellet things that you mix with water etc but like to give it to him 2 times a week and give him fresh for the rest.

I need some more ideas for him if anyone has any?
Thanks in advance [TURTLE]

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try radicchio or Belgian endive. They are my torts 2nd favorites after green leaf lettuce.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
One of my torts seemed to be eating a little less so I decided to start chopping up his greens more and fluffing them into a mound instead of having medium/large (whole leaf) pieces lay flat and now he eats 100% of everything I give him! My friend also has a very fussy elongated and her trick is to get 1 cube of mazuri moist and soggy and sprinkles it on top of her greens, weeds, etc and the smell attracts her and she eats everything. And because its only 1 mazuri cube its not too much for everyday sometimes she only does half of one. You could try both of these methods?
Goodluck!

Rjwills

Thank you happyjoyjoy, that's a really good idea. I might try mixing it in together at least like you say the smell attracts them but they are getting greens etc aswell. I had done that with some apple before and some broccoli and it ate some of it but didn't think I just doing it with on stick of the food. Thanks

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Rjwills said:
Hi guys, my hermann (Sheldon) is about 7 months old. He's the first tortoise I have had and finding it difficult to get him to eat anything.
He used to love dandelions and the leaves and odd bits of fruit/veg. Now when I put dandelions in there he sniffs and walks off. I have looked at different things like butternut squash/ sweet potato but he turns away at that. He loves his pellet things that you mix with water etc but like to give it to him 2 times a week and give him fresh for the rest.

I need some more ideas for him if anyone has any?
Thanks in advance [TURTLE]

For some odd reason, tortoises, in general, get hungry when they see red food items, so mix things like slivers of carrots, red bell peppers, red romaine lettuce, etc. into his daily chow.

Also, a fellow here, "coastal" (John) sells a red tortoise kibble that I soak and mix with dried weeds and dried veggies in the winter. Never seen a tort that could resist it, and it's gotten several adopted formerly abused/neglected (almost to death, in some cases) tortoises of folks I know to start eating again. Been using it for 2 or 3 years.

By weight, I mix 30% soaked kibble to 70% dried greens.

http://www.coastalsilkworms.com/fre...oological-red-tortoise-food-shipped-free.html