Really worried about my Russian Tortoise

emilyreid218

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My dad and brother clipped my tortoise, Nibbles’ nails and shaved his beak. They held him upside down while cutting his nails. They did not cut far, and shaved his beak down pretty good. I’m really worried because although, it’s been a few hours, Nibbles won’t eat. He was already not eating as much before this but now he’s not eating anything. I read that he may be on a hunger strike due to being scared but I’m very worried. I’m worried they did something wrong and now he won’t eat again.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello. Please tell us more about your tortoise. How big is he? How is he kept and where? Pictures?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Photos would be helpful, but most likely he just needs to destress. I would leave him be. Can you show photos of his enclosure? How old is he?

emilyreid218

New York
Hello. Please tell us more about your tortoise. How big is he? How is he kept and where? Pictures?
Hello. Nibbles is pretty big. He is kept in a huge hollowed out coffee table. This is the first time getting his nails and beak trimmed. I believe he is around 10 years old.

emilyreid218

New York
I am trying to attach photos

Attachments

• 85F98EFF-BD2F-4330-8FA0-456FBE0A07E6.jpeg
    85F98EFF-BD2F-4330-8FA0-456FBE0A07E6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • BF57485B-3E3F-4658-9050-55C7001C9CB3.jpeg
    BF57485B-3E3F-4658-9050-55C7001C9CB3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First remove the red light. They need it dark at night with a ceramic heat emitter if added heat is needed. Red can make them eat things they shouldn't.
Give him time to get over the trauma he went thru. Next time tell them not to hold him on his back, that's not needed to trim beak or nails
What are you using for heat, uvb, and what size is the enclosure? An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Way too small, needs enlarging ASAP. Water dish is a drowning hazard so remove it and replace with a clay saucer.
Not sure how you have those lights on in there but if it's not just to take a pic, they also look wrong

emilyreid218

New York
The red is his heat lamp. We got him from someone who specializes in tortoises and he never mentioned anything wrong with it. His enclosure is of size, it just looks smaller in the picture.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The red is his heat lamp. We got him from someone who specializes in tortoises and he never mentioned anything wrong with it. His enclosure is of size, it just looks smaller in the picture.
Well hate to tell you but the person you got him from may think they specializes in tortoises but they are using the wrong info.
If the enclosure is smaller than a 4x8 foot and your Russian is an adult then it's not the right size
I already explained the red light, so stop using it, he may have already eaten something like the substrate that he shouldn't.
Read the links I gave you so you can learn the right way.

emilyreid218

New York
First remove the red light. They need it dark at night with a ceramic heat emitter if added heat is needed. Red can make them eat things they shouldn't.
Give him time to get over the trauma he went thru. Next time tell them not to hold him on his back, that's not needed to trim beak or nails
What are you using for heat, uvb, and what size is the enclosure? An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot.
I am going to get him a new water bowl asap thank you. The white light is turned off at night, but, should I replace the red heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter? Would that be better for him at night?

emilyreid218

New York
Well hate to tell you but the person you got him from may think they specializes in tortoises but they are using the wrong info.
If the enclosure is smaller than a 4x8 foot and your Russian is an adult then it's not the right size
I already explained the red light, so stop using it, he may have already eaten something like the substrate that he shouldn't.
Read the links I gave you so you can learn the right way.
The red is his heat lamp. I cannot just stop using it, hence why I am asking you for clarification. I’m sorry, I’m new to this but you seem to be coming off as very harsh. I will be making these changes right away and will seek help elsewhere if my misinformation is a source of aggravation. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At night the Russians can have the temp go into the 60's.
Yes, the ceramic heat emitter would replace the red bulb
Day bulbs need to be a tube uvb fluorescent not the coil type and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.
Basking temp at tortoise height should reach 95-100.
Day temp in the rest of the enclosure should range from 75-80.
Night temps into the 60's or room temp.

emilyreid218

New York
At night the Russians can have the temp go into the 60's.
Yes, the ceramic heat emitter would replace the red bulb
Day bulbs need to be a tube uvb fluorescent not the coil type and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.
Basking temp at tortoise height should reach 95-100.
Day temp in the rest of the enclosure should range from 75-80.
Night temps into the 60's or room temp.

emilyreid218

New York
Okay, his day bulb is correct but I need to replace the red heat bulb. And he will be okay if I turn off the ceramic heat emitter at night. Okay. I will get that and a new water dish. Thank you. He came out to greet me when I had approached his cage. Hopefully he does just have to de-stress. Thank you again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Forgot that humidity should be around 50% at tort level or at least where he digs/burrows in or in the hide. Wetting the bottom layers of the substrate by putting warm water along the sides will do that. Make it damp.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thanks for trying to listen and learn. Fixing the water dish is the best first step. I would read this and I know it’s a lot to digest, but if your guy has been living in that small a space for a long time you really can do a lo to give him a better, safer life:

emilyreid218

New York
Thanks for trying to listen and learn. Fixing the water dish is the best first step. I would read this and I know it’s a lot to digest, but if your guy has been living in that small a space for a long time you really can do a lo to give him a better, safer life:

Okay will do. I did measure his enclosure and it was of adequate size. The angle of my picture made his enclosure look a lot smaller than it is. I will be getting a new water dish and researching other light options asap. He came out to greet me when I measured his cage. Hopefully he is okay and just on a hunger strike from stress.