realistically, how much do they eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
How much can one plan on a full grown Sulcata eating daily if it needs to be kept indoors (say over winter or for whatever reason)?

ETA follow up question... Is it possible to feed a Sully TOO MUCH? (Any aged Sully?)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I think Hector (Tony the tank) would be a good person to answer this, he has a couple of large sulcata that are inside.

Mine is only 40 pounds and he is outside year round and even when it's cold out I will see him grazing. I feed him once a day with a mixture of dark leafy greens, mazuri and cactus and the rest of the day he grazes. I am sure I would have to supplement his diet more if I had to bring him inside for a extended period of time. Lucky for me I don't have that problem where I live..

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have 3lg sulcatas... I go through 3 cases of produce every 10days(approx $65-$75)I always buy a case of romaine, ..then I augment another two cases with whatever is on sale...( produce prices fluctuate weekly at the produce center... Be it collard greens , dandelion,endive,peppers, ( a case of collard greens last week was $20 this week $14).....so I tend to buy what the market has surplus..

What I'm feeding off this week ...1 case romaine 30lbs , 1 case collard greens 35lbs, 1 case zucchini 15lbs, 1 case cactus 10lbs, 1 case curly endiva 15lbs, ( in 10 days it all will be gone except for the cactus..my torts are no longer feeling the cactus)

But if you can get them to eat hay which is better for them...your all set..bale of hay is $9...

Good luck

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Thats cheap hay! but even our bales at $16+ is cheaper then the store produce for big guys. That and paying for heating.. they are not a cheap critter to house where the climate is not ideal.. Im lucky and at least have graze for them in thier enclosures. But electric bill goes up this time of year!
I dont really know about overfeeding.. I would guess not.. but it all depends.. if they eat too much and grow too fast? is that good or bad? ???

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock is 73 lbs and grazes year round. We suppliment with Daily (during late Spring, Summer and early Fall) feedings of 2 cups Mazuri (large kibble in 25 Lb bags I pay $30) and 1/2 head of Greens (special of the week Cabbage, Broccholi, Kale....). During the colder parts of the year we will feed same portion but every other day or even every 3rd day depending on his activity. He has been known to go a couple of weeks during the Winter when he will just tuck his nose in a corner and stay there.

And as the picture in my signature shows... he get treats of berries and mellons a few times a year! He REALLY like Strawberries!

Texastort

10 Year Member!
I have one 40lb male and 4 smaller ones that live outside year round. I feed Romaine hearts and mazuri consistently, and I spend about 7 dollars a week on the lettuce. I really rely on nature to feed them, about 85% of what they eat is the grass and weeds in our yard. The lettuce and Mazuri usually on weekends when I am home and I get to play with them!

I also have several friends at work that are constantly bringing old lettuce and greens. I haven't bought lettuce in weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.