How much Food??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well since the storm is coming it got me thinking... I let Tony graze all he wants now and in the winter he will be kept indoors .. Wondering how much he should eat..He is 45lbs...Seems to have a voracious appetite..

So the question is how many times should he be fed and how much??
Was thinking spring mix??

And trying to locate some Mazuri to see if he will eat it?.

Thoughts

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Gosh, I don't have any of the big torts....but could only imagine the amount of food they can eat.....I am sure some with the biggies will get in on this thread and give you some great guidelines....

My guys pretty much dictate to me what amount they need/want...so with that I make my choices to supplement their grazing with one or two times a day of variety of goodies...and mine are sleeping during the winter.... :D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
its tough for me to gauge how much he eats everyday... He walks takes a few bites walks takes a few bites...He does that throughout the day.. Then i bring him in and give him a plate of mixed veggies...

I can tell you he poops quite a bit.. two times a day(and there big)..The other day I brought him in after grazing all day and he ate an entire head of romaine stuffed with orchard grass like he was starving..(It weighed 1lbs 9oz)

Im guesstimating he is putting down 2-3Lbs of grass a day.... and he is always hungry..He might slow down but he doesnt stop..

thoughts???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't feed my grazing torts. They get all they need from grazing. Occasionally I'll clip some branches from the grapes or mullbery tree and toss them in the habitats.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I can see that... But since the storm is hitting tomorrow and he will be inside in his enclosure...It got me thinking about how much food to feed him...He doesn't seem to like to stand still and eat.. Even when fed indoors..He takes a few bites walks around comes back a few more bites and makes quite the mess..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they really are not hungry all the time, they are opportunity eaters,, they eat when the food is there, because in their minds they don't know when the next meal is arriving.

Status
Not open for further replies.