Raw meat...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys I was just wondering if I could give a raw peice of beef for my Redfoot...

Should I give him that, or somthing better like beatles or grasshoppers?

Thanks for your time...

-ryan-

5 Year Member
You know, I am not sure on that, but I know a guy locally who used to have a huge herd of red foots and bred them by the hundreds, and he said he would feed them grilled chicken.

I only have one, so I can afford to get him pinkies, though sometimes I'll also give him a bit of high quality canned dog food, and on Thanksgiving he got a plate of turkey with a little bit of cranberry sauce (homemade, of course). I wish I had taken video of that. He walked over to the plate and stared at it for about five minutes, then spent the next few minutes sniffing, then out of no where he just ate the whole thing in probably less than a minute, and started moving the plate around the enclosure trying to find more (he's a big boy, around a foot long and 10 pounds).

I'm sure someone else on here with more experience with red footed torts will have an answer for you.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The problem is once they get a taste of blood, they will turn on you!

LOL- God I hope no one bought that! The issues I would have would be diseases and pathogens in most raw meats, and that it is a very 'rich' food.

Fine as a rare treat, but bugs are better.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio loves worms. When he's outside he's always digging and scratching around for bugs and slugs. Inside he rarely gets protein...once every two weeks. You can give boiled chicken. On Thanksgiving my kids were feeding him turkey and he was going nuts.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Eggs are OK- but bugs are still better. Many people boil them, then cut them in half or whatever- leaving the shell on so the tort can bite the shell off in little bits.

Eggshell is not the best calcium source, but it is OK once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.