I fed raw protein now my Redfoot has di·ar·rhe·a?

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi I have a herd of juvenile Redfoot tortoises. I fed them raw protein the other day for the first time. I fed them raw Ahi tuna instead of raw mice. Today one of them went poo and it's runny and mushy. I also fed them Mazuri for the first time yesterday could this be the cause of the problem? The other torts haven't pooped yet so I don't know if they have the same issue going on. I am going to keep a close on them, have you guys had this problem in the past with your torts? Also all the tortoises are eating well. The temps and humidity are correct any advice to solve this is appreciated thanks!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Scombroid food poisoning is a major cause of eating fish species of this nature ( and your symptoms described). I would not recommend. Stick to pinkies, baby chicks ect....if you believe your Red's are lacking protein and would like to add to their diet. Grub's work well too and easy to propagate .

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
Thanks @N2TORTS thank God I only gave them a little bit what the heck was I thinking, I'm going to stick to grubs and baby mice one in a while.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Scombroid food poisoning is a major cause of eating fish species of this nature ( and your symptoms described). I would not recommend. Stick to pinkies, baby chicks ect....if you believe your Red's are lacking protein and would like to add to their diet. Grub's work well too and easy to propagate .

i did not know this. i fed tuna on occasion i'll change that tho.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is very interesting with the fish and good to know I did not know this as well. Thanks @N2TORTS