Rattlesnakes in Arizona

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I have a friend in Arizona that has had 2 large rattlesnakes in her turkeys's pen in the past week. Is this a nest situation or something environmental? Like drought?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a friend in Arizona that has had 2 large rattlesnakes in her turkeys's pen in the past week. Is this a nest situation or something environmental? Like drought?
They were probably looking for food or shelter from the burning heat.

They don't "nest". They mate in spring or fall, and give live birth at the end of summer, or in spring after brumation.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They were probably looking for food or shelter from the burning heat.

They don't "nest". They mate in spring or fall, and give live birth at the end of summer, or in spring after brumation.
Thank you for answering me. This may give my friend some insight on a way to handle this recent problem she's handling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for answering me. This may give my friend some insight on a way to handle this recent problem she's handling.
1/2 hardware cloth, sold in 24" tall rolls, all around will keep the snakes out. I've never found any sort of spray or repellent that works.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
1/2 hardware cloth, sold in 24" tall rolls, all around will keep the snakes out. I've never found any sort of spray or repellent that works.
I will tell her that tip too. Her son has been trying to help her get all the holes shored up for the turkey pen. Hardware cloth is perfect for that. Your other tip has got us brain storming too. How to naturally deter them from coming so close to your house and pens in Arizona in a heat wave. Shelter and food is the answer. So put your tree trimmings piled up etc at the very back of your property. All the little critters will like the oasis😉 food and a log cabin. What snake can resist if it doesn't have to sneak by a turkey?