Rant of the day!

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I am a fairly new tortoise owner in Kentucky. I have been slowly adding foods to my torts diet as I can get them. It has been the most frustrating experience ever! I tried to find seed trays... but no! They aren't in stock because it's not spring! Then I tried to find some of the wheat grass from whole foods. Turns out, our whole foods doesn't carry them!! Grr!

On the plus side, it's actually decently warm outside today and I guess I get to order my seed trays/seeds/EVERYTHING online today :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I just toss seeds into the enclosure and then sprinkle the substrate over it :D
My sulcata cage is so humid the seeds sprout in a matter of days.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I did that today with what few seeds I did find... just frustrating since so many people are on the west coast and I'm sitting here freezing my bum off completely unprepared for winter!! Lol!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you ask whole foods to order the stuff you want, usually they will. If any whole foods carries it, your store should be able to get it. I ordered cactus pads and squash blossom through mine and they got them in for me. Also, any good seeds for tortoise food can be bought from the tortoisesupply.com

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Oh very interesting! I will have to give that a try! I have already ordered seeds and they are on the way so that should help out! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Carolina Pet Supply is also a great source for seeds. I like using the plastic trays (boxes) that some of the greens come in. I love to recycle stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few members use kitty litter pans instead of seed trays. You can buy a kitty litter pan any time of year!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
large dishpans are also good, if your thinking litter pan type pot.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Doesn't you whole foods have the bins that you can scoop from? You will find many seeds that you can sprout in them .winter wheat ,rye buck wheat,mung beans ......oats ....I also sprout seeds in the substrate ,my red foots have been foraging for days now.....was just looking at arazona tort for seeds ,seems like they offer plenty...even morning glory,thought they were poisones....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Everything I have ever read said morning glories were No NO, I sure would not want to try them. I noticed today my local WalMart have their 20 cent seed packets out. Not grasses, but lots of nice food like turnip and collards.

canicke

Just a thought - i tried sprouting some seeds in egg trays. When theyve sprouted take em out of the egg carton, dig a hole with your finger in your substrate & youre good to go

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
canicke said:
Just a thought - i tried sprouting some seeds in egg trays. When theyve sprouted take em out of the egg carton, dig a hole with your finger in your substrate & youre good to go

Or plant them in the empty egg shells themselves and then plant the whole thing. ;) :D

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Rant of the day!

edwardbo said:
Doesn't you whole foods have the bins that you can scoop from? You will find many seeds that you can sprout in them .winter wheat ,rye buck wheat,mung beans ......oats ....I also sprout seeds in the substrate ,my red foots have been foraging for days now.....was just looking at arazona tort for seeds ,seems like they offer plenty...even morning glory,thought they were poisones....

My whole foods had barely any seeds at all!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the helpful hints!! I will go back and scout out more stuff this weekend *muahahahahaha*