Rammus and new friend

trinhtbv5

i have Rammus for 1.5 months already, so yesterday i decided to bring a new friend home for rammus :D
Rammus first day at home
pivr.jpg

twsi.jpg

after half a month
ikjf.jpg

now
d4f5.jpg

here is the little new sully ^^
xhn8.jpg

nbwo.jpg

it just takes rammus a month and a half to be this differences :D rammus is now 70g and 6.7cm, the small one is 42g and 5.4cm
here is the video clip eating ^^
when rammus first come home just small like that new one ^^
hope to see your comments :D i really want to keep my tortoise healthy and im new so im willing to get advice on this, i follow tom's thread to keep my sulcata not pyramiding and i think its work ?
and im sorry because i can't make those picture small :( please help me :D

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
They are cute. One thing ive learned from this forum is that sulcatas don't do well together i don't know much as i am still new but I've read that a lot.

trinhtbv5

Saleama said:
They are beautiful!
Thanks Saleama
alex_ornelas said:
They are cute. One thing ive learned from this forum is that sulcatas don't do well together i don't know much as i am still new but I've read that a lot.
Yea i heard that, but i want to keep them together, i will keep looking on them, so far is good, is not a problem because i have another cage if need to split :D anyway thanks alot im new too ^^

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here is a picture of two I received from an intelligent youngman that had no idea of the effects of bullying. He just thought one was growing slower than the other. When small, it is hard to observe bullying behavior. ImageUploadedByTortForum1396539845.070697.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are beautiful tortoises. However, being new to forum and tortoises, you really should take the warning of the years of experience on this forum. Also the fact that sulcatas don't want friends, don't need friends, would rather have their territory all to themselves. Watch them very closely if you don't want to take the advice to separate. Another newer member learned the hard way with their Russians that two Russians is a good idea either, in most cases. The one Russian chew all the scales off the others leg. It's not impossible to put two sulcatas or Russians, etc together, it's really best left to the very well experienced that knows what to watch out for. Good luck though. Your torts are beauties.

trinhtbv5

Cowboy_Ken said:
Here is a picture of two I received from an intelligent youngman that had no idea of the effects of bullying. He just thought one was growing slower than the other. When small, it is hard to observe bullying behavior.

wellington said:
They are beautiful tortoises. However, being new to forum and tortoises, you really should take the warning of the years of experience on this forum. Also the fact that sulcatas don't want friends, don't need friends, would rather have their territory all to themselves. Watch them very closely if you don't want to take the advice to separate. Another newer member learned the hard way with their Russians that two Russians is a good idea either, in most cases. The one Russian chew all the scales off the others leg. It's not impossible to put two sulcatas or Russians, etc together, it's really best left to the very well experienced that knows what to watch out for. Good luck though. Your torts are beauties.

thank you all for the advice, i have time so when they eat i'll give them seperate dish, i watch them eating so if there is a problem i can hold them, but if 1 is bullying other i will seperate them ^^ thanks again, im new and willing to learn :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yea i heard that, but i want to keep them together, i will keep looking on them

So, I tried really hard to not comment here---I went away and then was compelled to come back...I am going to attempt to not sound crappy about this....

The statement you make here is 100% that of a person who acknowledges that they know what they have done is not a good idea, right; "Yea i heard that,"

Then goes on essentially to say that they don't care about the negative issues that are awaiting one of the tortoise regardless to what they have heard-- they are going to do what THEY want to, like right here;
"but i want to keep them together"

And my most favorite line of all times, you ready for it,;
"i will keep looking on them"

What exactly is it that you think you are going to see when looking in on them??? One walking up and smacking the other, one walking up and kicking the other?? One walking up and giving stink eye??? What exactly are you thinking you are going to see??? When bullying goes on --it happens over a long period of time...one tortoise will ALWAYS have to submit to the other----and this is unnatural when kept in a captive environment....one tortoise will get ill from this situation...period. Now, perhaps you will be someone who has two tortoise that will not submit to one another---well, then you will have serious physical injuries that will happen, serious injury--as Ken shared in the photo---it does not happen over night, but it happens.

Please also understand that the species of tortoise you are dealing with are a more assertive, tenacious and aggressive one...naturally dominant--so to force one to submit is so very unfair, simply so you can have what you want.....wow.

trinhtbv5

ascott said:
Yea i heard that, but i want to keep them together, i will keep looking on them

So, I tried really hard to not comment here---I went away and then was compelled to come back...I am going to attempt to not sound crappy about this....

The statement you make here is 100% that of a person who acknowledges that they know what they have done is not a good idea, right; "Yea i heard that,"

Then goes on essentially to say that they don't care about the negative issues that are awaiting one of the tortoise regardless to what they have heard-- they are going to do what THEY want to, like right here;
"but i want to keep them together"

And my most favorite line of all times, you ready for it,;
"i will keep looking on them"

What exactly is it that you think you are going to see when looking in on them??? One walking up and smacking the other, one walking up and kicking the other?? One walking up and giving stink eye??? What exactly are you thinking you are going to see??? When bullying goes on --it happens over a long period of time...one tortoise will ALWAYS have to submit to the other----and this is unnatural when kept in a captive environment....one tortoise will get ill from this situation...period. Now, perhaps you will be someone who has two tortoise that will not submit to one another---well, then you will have serious physical injuries that will happen, serious injury--as Ken shared in the photo---it does not happen over night, but it happens.

Please also understand that the species of tortoise you are dealing with are a more assertive, tenacious and aggressive one...naturally dominant--so to force one to submit is so very unfair, simply so you can have what you want.....wow.
haha sorry for my bad english, i write that not because i don't care, if i don't care i don't have another cage ready for 1 more :) i even can feed them divide to small amount many times a day, bring them out for sunlight, i care for them. just because i saw people growing sulcata together, so why can't i do it? i said that ill look after them, after their behavior to make sure that no bullying appear or they both gets food and they not fighting, if it occurs i will move them seperate immediately, i think you should control your temp, anyway is my fault because of my bad english due to the bad expression so sorry :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i think you should control your temp, anyway is my fault because of my bad english due to the bad expression so sorry

I did control my temper...and the issue of proper English is not a factor, I completely understand what you are saying and what you are doing...I just know it is foolish. By the way, did you quarantine the new tortoise for at least 6 months? or 3 months? any time? before you placed it in with your other tortoise?

You are someone that will do what they want to. I just hope that the tortoise in your care will not pay the price for your wanton desires and feelings of entitlement....

trinhtbv5

ascott said:
i think you should control your temp, anyway is my fault because of my bad english due to the bad expression so sorry

I did control my temper...and the issue of proper English is not a factor, I completely understand what you are saying and what you are doing...I just know it is foolish. By the way, did you quarantine the new tortoise for at least 6 months? or 3 months? any time? before you placed it in with your other tortoise?

You are someone that will do what they want to. I just hope that the tortoise in your care will not pay the price for your wanton desires and feelings of entitlement....
the small one is the new hatchling and i think the breeder won't keep the hatchlings in seperate cage :) btw he's strong, even stronger than rammus when rammus first came home and of course i will responsible for my tortoise. many people growing sulcata together, you should go to these topic too

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Its no wonder so many people are chased off of here with the nature of some of these posts. To suggest that this person does not care (they are here asking for advice so apparently they do care) or that there are no signs of bullying in torts is ridiculous, there are many signs if one cares to look. What I find astounding is the immediate attack and the attitude that it is somehow helpful to this person. There are many many people who keep baby sulcatas together. Every single breeder on here right now that has more than one baby tortoises of the same species has more than one in the same enclosure/pen./habitat/tub etc..,

This guy comes on here to show his beautiful babies and is visiously attacked for how he has decided to keep them and it is allowed? He asked for advice, not to be told how horrible people think he is for keeping two very young babies together.

Great example of some good advice Ken. You show a clear effect of what COULD happen and in that example showed some of the things one should look for IF bullying should occur. This is actually helpful iformation and done in a way as not to be so offensive it is sickening. Thank you for that.

I appologize for the rant now, but I too could no longer hold my tongue. I thought this forum was here to help people, not to insult and belittle them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I appologize for the rant now, but I too could no longer hold my tongue. I thought this forum was here to help people, not to insult and belittle them.

See, you too had an issue that would not rest with you....just as I when I said my piece...feel better now? Have a great day dear ;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
A little hasty I agree. These are tiny little hatchlings. The OP has time to make arrangements for separation. A simple advisory notice about Sulcata pairs would be sufficient.
So OP, yes, your babies are absolutely beautiful and the new growth on the one looks great, but head the warnings, even the hasty ones, that separation of these animals is imperative to their health. I do not own sulcatas. Some day I hope to and if I'm lucky, some as beautiful as yours, but I have read over and over again that these animals must be kept alone or in groups, and if kept in groups, must have A LOT of space. Keep us updated, they are beautiful.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

MsBijou

5 Year Member
Yes breeders keep more than one together. Keeping 1 is great, keeping 6 or more together I'm sure works out fine when they are young, but keeping 2...terrible idea. It is hard to understand but maybe easier this way. If a bully only has ONE othe tortoise to bully, it will be very bad for the one that is being bullied. If a bully has 5 others to bully, he spreads out his aggression and it's too hard to keep focus on one same victim. That is why larger groups work much better than just 2.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

trinhtbv5

ascott said:

See, you too had an issue that would not rest with you....just as I when I said my piece...feel better now? Have a great day dear ;)

so its what i come to this forum, to share and to learn.
anyways many thanks to Saleama, alex_ornelas, Cowboy_Ken, wellington,:D also ascott, for giving me an aggressive advice :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We should truthfully start a new thread titled, “sulcata bullying while young". While there are some fine points being expressed here, the OP really was just being a proud tortoise parent, showing off his kids, and asking completely different questions than the ones being addressed here.
Trinhtbv5,
Continue to follow Toms advice and you will have nice, smooth tortoises.

trinhtbv5

Elohi said:
A little hasty I agree. These are tiny little hatchlings. The OP has time to make arrangements for separation. A simple advisory notice about Sulcata pairs would be sufficient.
So OP, yes, your babies are absolutely beautiful and the new growth on the one looks great, but head the warnings, even the hasty ones, that separation of these animals is imperative to their health. I do not own sulcatas. Some day I hope to and if I'm lucky, some as beautiful as yours, but I have read over and over again that these animals must be kept alone or in groups, and if kept in groups, must have A LOT of space. Keep us updated, they are beautiful.

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]
thanks alot, i will keep update on them ^^
MsBijou said:
Yes breeders keep more than one together. Keeping 1 is great, keeping 6 or more together I'm sure works out fine when they are young, but keeping 2...terrible idea. It is hard to understand but maybe easier this way. If a bully only has ONE othe tortoise to bully, it will be very bad for the one that is being bullied. If a bully has 5 others to bully, he spreads out his aggression and it's too hard to keep focus on one same victim. That is why larger groups work much better than just 2.

thanks for this advice, because i may buy more, but not 4 more haha i understand this because i have a cichlid tank of 430G which have 28 blue dolphin :D

trinhtbv5

Cowboy_Ken said:
We should truthfully start a new thread titled, “sulcata bullying while young". While there are some fine points being expressed here, the OP really was just being a proud tortoise parent, showing off his kids, and asking completely different questions than the ones being addressed here.
Trinhtbv5,
Continue to follow Toms advice and you will have nice, smooth tortoises.
Cowboy_Ken, you really understand me haha, thanks alot, of course i'll continue on Tom advice,many thanks for your picture because i can imagine more of a bad situation between sulcatas, i will keep looking on their behavior. in my opinion, its just to becareful when they eat, should have seperate dish, or feed in different time for each of them ^^ because i think the only thing they will fight for is food haha