raising a tortoise in Florida advise wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmlmomma

5 Year Member
east central Florida here and learning

Hello everyone,
My daughter and I are considering our options for a tortoise. We are looking at Sulcata's versus Red footed. I have a home on an area and the back yard is fenced in with chain link plus we would build a "pen" haven't decided how big yet, thinking maybe 20' x 20' or so... We went today to a ladies house today who has 4 sulcata's (3 are rescues) and she has 1 red footed and a yellow footed... anyway, She keeps them outside in two pens. She has had most of them for 20 years, they seem to be doing very well...
Here's my questions:
1. My daughter is 24, married but lives here with her husband waiting for him to finish college and get a job, so their future is not settled... I'm thinking she should stick with a smaller tortoise. yet she really loves the sulcata's
2. If the sulcata's take 10-20 years to get really big, should I even worry about where my daughter may live by then? (don't want to see it in a rescue)
3. Which would be best for her first tortoise? (she's very pet responsible and even volunteers at a large cat (tigers) rescue every Saturday for 2 years now.)
for the life of me I can't get over how big these get and how many people have them!...anyway thanks

jmlmomma

5 Year Member
where on the coast in central Florida. Looking to get a tortoise. I've seen where people have them outside in pens and they do very well.... even without heat lamps and such... Anyone have experience in our area and advise or opinions on the subject for raising them outside? We don't have one yet but looking into all of our opinions and coming up with a plan...Thinking about Red footed or Sulcata's...
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most build a heated dog house type house for them to go into on cold days and nights. You can also bring them inside for those times. Babies should not be kept outside 24/7. They are usually taken into the house at night time until they are approx 6-8 inches. Others will have more to say too.

I think if your daughter is set on a sulcata, then get a young one or even a hatchling. It will be a while before you have too worry about it being huge.

todd and his tortoise

5 Year Member
it sounds like you live in the citrus park area of tampa. does she volunteer at Life on Easy Street? if so, that is a great facility. we had had the pleasure of a behind the scenes tour about 15 years ago. what a fantastic experience. good luck on your decision. todd

jmlmomma

5 Year Member
Were on the east coast almost due east of Tampa...the space coast area.
We went to look at south of us by about 40 minutes. She just puts hay in a dog house for hers and they are in a sun and shade mixed area... Mostly shade. they looked good... she said shes only brought them in once 3 years ago when we had below 32 degrees for 8 hours...So I'm thinking this is not going to be an issue and we would even need heat lights...I'm asking my daughter to look for a rescue not a baby because I'm sure there are several out there that need homes...for what ever reason... Anyone know of a rescue? I think there's one in Orlando...I'm looking into it.

todd and his tortoise said:
it sounds like you live in the citrus park area of tampa. does she volunteer at Life on Easy Street? if so, that is a great facility. we had had the pleasure of a behind the scenes tour about 15 years ago. what a fantastic experience. good luck on your decision. todd

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My 7 year old Sully is about 50 pounds so it happens pretty fast. I think a sulcata is a great choice, maybe a leopard if you want something smaller. You live in a great climate to have either. Good luck :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if 20x20 is the size.. then maybe go with redfoot..
if you can go larger,, then Rescue a sulcata.. many need new homes...they can be destructive tho... so do lots of homework! and chainlink might not work.. it might need to be a solid wall... cinder block or wood.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Your not going to find a Sulcata in a "rescue" here in Florida.....Why? They are just too valuble, unless they are severly deformed or have "issues".......I've been to more than a few, and they want stupid money for them. Usually more than what you would typically buy them for.......Not to mention all the crap buried in the fine print of an adoption contract......

No different than alot of the Sulcata "rescues" out west, who cry about donations and money, but sell hundreds of offspring every year to the Pet trade and sell their animals by the pound......

argus333

5 Year Member
look on craigs list in your area, u may find one cheep that needs a home.

jmlmomma

5 Year Member
argus333 said:
look on craigs list in your area, u may find one cheep that needs a home.

Thank you! This is what we did. He wasn't that far from us either and came with the extras!

Status
Not open for further replies.