Rain and Thunderstorms

bozotony

Location (City and/or State)
Hialeah Florida
Today it rained for about 2 hours, intense rain. I brought my redfoot inside due to fear of flooding. The weather app also says there will be intense rain tonight. I found the little guy burrowed under his hide. I think he was scared, maybe not. I thought redfoots loved rain. Also, i live in Florida and the temp stays about 70-80 during rain. My yard is cracked pavement so the enclosure is on an unleveled surface. So i drilled three holes into the declined end of the enclosure. Now was i right to bring my tortoise in? Or do you guys think it’s totally safe for it to be outside during heavy rain n thunderstorms?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would bring him in just to be sure he is safe, and set him up in a warm box. My redfoot spent many wet nights inside in a large box with shredded newspaper that he totally burrowed down into and slept fine until morning. This is in Jamaica. Warm inside but sometimes too wet and cool outside at night during storms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today it rained for about 2 hours, intense rain. I brought my redfoot inside due to fear of flooding. The weather app also says there will be intense rain tonight. I found the little guy burrowed under his hide. I think he was scared, maybe not. I thought redfoots loved rain. Also, i live in Florida and the temp stays about 70-80 during rain. My yard is cracked pavement so the enclosure is on an unleveled surface. So i drilled three holes into the declined end of the enclosure. Now was i right to bring my tortoise in? Or do you guys think it’s totally safe for it to be outside during heavy rain n thunderstorms?
What size RF are we talking about?

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
My adult redfoots stay outside. Some love the rain, but even more so the lighter rains, some stay hidden. I think they all look forward to the increase in worms.

Yes drainage is very important. Are three holes enough?
it rained intensely for hours today, no flooding at all luckily. and the enclosure is on an incline with the three holes on the decline side, so water flow should flow to one side which didnt even happen due to no flooding in it

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
sorry if my respones are late, i dont get any notifications for this n when i do its like hours late through email

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any tortoise living outside should have a heated shelter for inclement weather. If it is cool and rainy, your tortoises should be able to retreat to its shelter. Here is an example:

No tortoise should be living on pavement. They will eventually wear through their feet and you will see little bloody foot prints. They need to be on dirt or substrate of some sort.

A 6 inch tortoise needs a very large enclosure. Something on the order of 10x10 feet or larger. Much larger. When you said you drilled holes in the declined end, that makes me envision some sort of small tortoise table made for a baby or smaller tortoises.

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
Any tortoise living outside should have a heated shelter for inclement weather. If it is cool and rainy, your tortoises should be able to retreat to its shelter. Here is an example:

No tortoise should be living on pavement. They will eventually wear through their feet and you will see little bloody foot prints. They need to be on dirt or substrate of some sort.

A 6 inch tortoise needs a very large enclosure. Something on the order of 10x10 feet or larger. Much larger. When you said you drilled holes in the declined end, that makes me envision some sort of small tortoise table made for a baby or smaller tortoises.
the floor is cypress mulch, about 2-3 inches and i’ll probably put some more. And yea i know they need much larger based on info you have told me previously. But im confined due to my parents. Ill get him a bigger enclosure (4x8) but thats all i can do untill i move out. And right now its 6x3 which im sure is small.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As long as your enclosure is a spot that NEVER floods, rain is not an issue.
We're going into rainy season and there will be storms daily. (South Florida)
My RF stay outdoors 24/7 and they do well. They enjoy the rain.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't forget these animals live in the wild with bugs, rain, other animals etc. Now because we keep them and they have limited space, they should not have access to other animals but bugs and rain isn't a problem as long as the enclosure does not flood.
No they aren't afraid of the weather.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hmmm. How's the weather?

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
tropical storm passed and the area did not flood at all, but i still had him inside just in case, but now im sure its safe in most condition

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
tropical storm passed and the area did not flood at all, but i still had him inside just in case, but now im sure its safe in most condition

My RF stayed outside for the whole duration.
My back yard does not flood. And the entire yard has great drainage except for the area near the street.
Provide a dry place for sleeping so that he can not stay wet all day and night. That will cause fungal issues.
I use big, compost bins with a door flap made of car floor mats from the Dollar Store.

Last edited: