Outdoor tortoise table questions

mlummus

Hey guys I'm in the process of trying to build the best enclosure for my tort, Frankie. Right now the size of the table is 5x2 roughly and I'll be adding on an extra 2x2 to make it an "L" shaped table. I live in a town home so I can't make a permanent outdoor enclosure like I would like to. But I plan on keeping the table outside on my patio and moving the table in during the winter. Some problems I thought about are:

what will I do when it rains and he's outside? Since his enclosure is a table and doesn't have any kind of drainage, won't water collect in it and become a problem? And what about Frankie... Will the rain scare him? Should I move him inside?

How deep should I make the table? I know torts like to dig when it's hot and im in Central Louisiana so it gets very hot!

Should I provide any type of lighting/heat during the night?

Are there any other problems I should be aware of? anything you would like to add that I should do to build Frankie the best enclosure is very much appreciated!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Flooding, drowning or getting washed away are all possible. You must have drainage.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Drill holes in the bottom & sides and set it at a slant. Raise it above ground level. Maybe put it on wheels. It's going to be very heavy once it has enough damp substrate.