Radiated Arrival

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi everyone I promised I would start a new thread with some pictures of my first radiated tortoise. Here are some pictures I took while he or she was bathing. I also wanted to ask if it was normal if he or she does a chewing action or motion while she/he is asleep?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393010120.801041.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393010159.818555.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW...Very pretty. Can you share where did you acquired this Torts?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Chewing motion while sleeping? How closely are you watching the tortoise? Are you keeping him too warm to cold?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Congrats on the tortoise. The chewing motion is a bit concerning though. Unless they're dreaming of dandelion fields

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
diamondbp said:
Congrats on the tortoise. The chewing motion is a bit concerning though. Unless they're dreaming of dandelion fields

If I see the chewing motion while sleeping again I will definitely take a video of it... For now I will keep an eye out

bouaboua said:

This tortoise was indirectly purchased from Chris Leone. I personally do not have a CBW permit but I have a friend who does and he purchased the tortoise from Chris Leone and then sold it to me in-state where I can legally do the transaction with my NYS Endangered Species permit.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
ben32hayt said:
diamondbp said:

If I see the chewing motion while sleeping again I will definitely take a video of it... For now I will keep an eye out

bouaboua said:

This tortoise was indirectly purchased from Chris Leone. I personally do not have a CBW permit but I have a friend who does and he purchased the tortoise from Chris Leone and then sold it to me in-state where I can legally do the transaction with my NYS Endangered Species permit.

Thank you Ben. Thank you.

litaiyuang

5 Year Member
Nice, glad you finally got it. How's he/she eating? I think they all occasionally do that (the chewing thing), but usually after they eat I think just to clear some stuck bits of food in their mouths. As long as he's active, eating, pooping well, you should be good. Any idea what's your temp range and humidity currently?

I cared for that little guy for much of the past year until Dec. Glad he's in good hands :)

bouaboua said:

Attachments

• IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    458.4 KB · Views: 63

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
litaiyuang said:
Nice, glad you finally got it. How's he/she eating? I think they all occasionally do that (the chewing thing), but usually after they eat I think just to clear some stuck bits of food in their mouths. As long as he's active, eating, pooping well, you should be good. Any idea what's your temp range and humidity currently?

I cared for that little guy for much of the past year until Dec. Glad he's in good hands :)

bouaboua said:

The minute I turn on the humidifier he/she go crazy for food! I haven't seen him/her do the chewing motion since Wednesday.... I am assuming it was from the long journey and she/he just might have been cold. Anyways the temperatures I have her at are above 80 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and warmer under the heat lamp. the temperatures at night never drop below 75 degrees. If I need to change that please tell me ASAP finding the right temperatures for her/him was difficult for me because I couldn't find a great care sheet. If anyone has the Bill Zovickian care sheet it would be great if you could share it with me. Thanks guys, Ben

tortadise said:
Chewing motion while sleeping? How closely are you watching the tortoise? Are you keeping him too warm to cold?

I check on the tortoise very, very often.... I am making sure she/he is doing great and I am planning a trip to the veterinarian soon. Thanks, Ben

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ben32hayt said:
litaiyuang said:

bouaboua said:

The minute I turn on the humidifier he/she go crazy for food! I haven't seen him/her do the chewing motion since Wednesday.... I am assuming it was from the long journey and she/he just might have been cold. Anyways the temperatures I have her at are above 80 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and warmer under the heat lamp. the temperatures at night never drop below 75 degrees. If I need to change that please tell me ASAP finding the right temperatures for her/him was difficult for me because I couldn't find a great care sheet. If anyone has the Bill Zovickian care sheet it would be great if you could share it with me. Thanks guys, Ben

tortadise said:

I check on the tortoise very, very often.... I am making sure she/he is doing great and I am planning a trip to the veterinarian soon. Thanks, Ben

Radiated seem to be more active when the humidity is higher

litaiyuang

5 Year Member
Just emailed you Bill's caresheet. Pretty much everything you seem to be already doing.

ben32hayt said:
litaiyuang said:

bouaboua said:

tortadise said:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Lovely. Good deal with the acquisition!