radiata studbook status

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
It is my understanding that the Radiated tortoise studbook is no longer maintained. I'm hoping someone has a copy and can get me some history on a couple of individuals, I'd sure appreciate it.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Send me the numbers and I can look them up for you....

zovick

10 Year Member!
It is my understanding that the Radiated tortoise studbook is no longer maintained. I'm hoping someone has a copy and can get me some history on a couple of individuals, I'd sure appreciate it.
As Dan said, if you have the studbook numbers of the ones for which you want info, I can also help you. I may even have owned or bred them myself.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Forgot to mention that I may even have some pix of those tortoises if you are interested. I have pix of about 1000 studbook registered Radiateds which I have owned, bred, or had other interactions, such as having them on breeding loans, etc., etc.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Forgot to mention that I may even have some pix of those tortoises if you are interested. I have pix of about 1000 studbook registered Radiateds which I have owned, bred, or had other interactions, such as having them on breeding loans, etc., etc.
I'd sure appreciate it. It won't let me message you, but my email is Jon at cunninglogic d0t Com

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
SB 882
SB 419
SB 167
SB 965

These are the mothers of the ones I have. I'm a stickler for history and documentation, it's all about curiosity for me.

zovick

10 Year Member!
SB 882
SB 419
SB 167
SB 965

These are the mothers of the ones I have. I'm a stickler for history and documentation, it's all about curiosity for me.
Check your email for the info I have sent you. If you didn't receive the email due to the attachments, I can send the pictures in separate emails.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Thank you, exactly the history I wanted
Check your email for the info I have sent you. If you didn't receive the email due to the attachments, I can send the pictures in separate emails.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
If you don't mind I have a few that I would like to learn about too. I will try to send you a PM.

H2447INTX

5 Year Member
Angleton
little late to the conversation but why is the SB no longer being maintained or records kept ? i just sent an email requesting a SB number to be assigned to a hatching i acquired, i would guess that i may not get a number assigned ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
little late to the conversation but why is the SB no longer being maintained or records kept ? i just sent an email requesting a SB number to be assigned to a hatching i acquired, i would guess that i may not get a number assigned ?
The studbook is primarily concerned with animals which would be needed for resurrection of the species if all else failed. The animals need to be as close to the original founder (wild caught) animals as possible, almost all of which are held by zoos today.

In the past, some private owners had founder animals in their collections, and that is why the practice of registering private owners' animals in the studbook began. Now that there are so many privately owned animals generations removed from the founders, it is not important to keep track of them, so the studbook keeper has pretty much ceased including them in the studbook.

The protocol for the studbook participants is (or was the last I knew) to breed only specific pairs of the founder tortoises as directed by the studbook keeper. Then 8 offspring of those founder pairs are kept for 5 years. After the 5 years, if the parents are still living, those 8 babies are reclassified as "Surplus" and disposed of (sold, given to other zoos, etc.). Then the parents are bred once again to produce 8 more babies to be kept for the next 5 year period.

The CB babies available to private people today are no longer important to the needs of the studbook, so the studbook keeper has pretty much quit answering requests for studbook numbers by private owners over the past couple of years.

Just FYI, I emailed both the studbook keeper and his boss recently simply requesting a copy of the studbook and have not received a reply from either one as of today.

H2447INTX

5 Year Member
Angleton
The studbook is primarily concerned with animals which would be needed for resurrection of the species if all else failed. The animals need to be as close to the original founder (wild caught) animals as possible, almost all of which are held by zoos today.

In the past, some private owners had founder animals in their collections, and that is why the practice of registering private owners' animals in the studbook began. Now that there are so many privately owned animals generations removed from the founders, it is not important to keep track of them, so the studbook keeper has pretty much ceased including them in the studbook.

The protocol for the studbook participants is (or was the last I knew) to breed only specific pairs of the founder tortoises as directed by the studbook keeper. Then 8 offspring of those founder pairs are kept for 5 years. After the 5 years, if the parents are still living, those 8 babies are reclassified as "Surplus" and disposed of (sold, given to other zoos, etc.). Then the parents are bred once again to produce 8 more babies to be kept for the next 5 year period.

The CB babies available to private people today are no longer important to the needs of the studbook, so the studbook keeper has pretty much quit answering requests for studbook numbers by private owners over the past couple of years.

Just FYI, I emailed both the studbook keeper and his boss recently simply requesting a copy of the studbook and have not received a reply from either one as of today.
good read , thanks for the info , i got numbers just last yr but i can understand what your saying . Any talk of them lifting state to state transfers? in not in that loop, picked one up from Pete couple months back and am currently looking for more .

thanks

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
good read , thanks for the info , i got numbers just last yr but i can understand what your saying . Any talk of them lifting state to state transfers? in not in that loop, picked one up from Pete couple months back and am currently looking for more .

thanks
Radiata we're not in the recent changes made to Esa listings (last week I think, removed extinct species). They removed a number of animals. Unless major changes come into play law wise, I don't think it will happen. Iirc the species survival plan's goals must be met (not happening with current Madagascar government) or it has to go extinct (not happening with the large population).

zovick

10 Year Member!

thanks
The Radiated Tortoise population in this country is so large and robust that there is truly no need to require permits any longer. In days of yore (the 70's and 80's), when a number of them were being smuggled into the country, the permit law allowed those persons with "legal" animals to move them around the country to get better genetic diversity in captive collections.

Now the USFWS is denying permits to people and preventing them from expanding their genetic bases, exactly the opposite thing for which the permits were originally intended. Additionally, by denying permits, the USFWS will gradually lose track of all the privately held Radiated Tortoises in the country since the owners will no longer be mandated to report all births, deaths, loans, gifts, etc. yearly as is required of CBW permit holders.

It's ludicrous.