*STUDBOOK UPDATE*

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The North American Regional Studbook for Testudo hermanni hermanni has been silent for quite a bit of time. There is good reason for this as it took a while to clean up a rather big mess, separate stock correctly and reassign studbook numbers to appropriate animals.

In the upcoming edition to be released, there will be several changes including a color indicator which will let viewers know what animals are backed up by genetic testing and which ones aren't. The studbook will now be broken down into management units (MU) similar to how T. h. hermanni is broken down in nature. This means that each locale/form will no longer have its own page with the exception of Southern French animals, however, each specimen's locale will be noted in a column. In addition to this, every single animal in the entire studbook has been assigned a new number. It will be up to you to find your animals based off your last name, hatch date and sire/dam info.

We are working more with genetic research and field research while staying in touch with the European Studbook Foundation for this species as well.

A cover letter with details on updates, how to use the new edition of our studbook, why the need for significant changes and anything else pertaining to the western Hermann's tortoise will be included once it is launched.

We are almost finished. We thank those who have genuinely been patient and those who actually wish to see Testudo hermanni hermanni have a fighting chance at staying pure in the United States.

Chris, Steve and Casey
Testudo hermanni hermanni2_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Black Forest, Colorado
I don’t completely understand the Stud book? I purchased a Western from you in April and received him in August. Is this something I should look for my tortoise to be listed on?