Raccoons, any solutions?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
So we got hit by some determined animal. We suspect it was a raccoon, luckily all the torts were inside due to the cold. Looks like they got 3-4 clutches. At least I learned some new areas the torts are laying. Any suggestions to protect my torts?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455405023.292168.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455405037.119158.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455405046.818998.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455405056.772253.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks like a possum or raccoon.
Both bad.
In your case the only practical solution is to monitor the females.
You can trap and release elsewhere the 'coons and possum. But others will simply fill the void. So the only option is to quit your job and stand by with a shotgun.
Sorry darling.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Looks like a possum or raccoon.
Both bad.
In your case the only practical solution is to monitor the females.
You can trap and release elsewhere the 'coons and possum. But others will simply fill the void. So the only option is to quit your job and stand by with a shotgun.
Sorry darling.
I'm hoping my neighbor will take care of it. He has chickens. Last sign of coons or possum were four years ago according to the neighbor. He wouldn't tell me what happened to the raccoon except it involved his pit bulls, a tree and a shovel. Since we have been here (3 years) we haven't had any issues. Then we got raided last night. We are going to keep all the torts inside until Thursday, the next warming up period. it is likely some of the girls may have another clutch planned. Thinking of calling a trapper just to get rid of the immediate problem. Hopefully keeping everyone inside for the next few days, robbing the critter of its food source will encourage it to move on.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Electric fence....my Sulcatas and Russians stay out year round..at the beginning I would see bear tracks next to the enclosure..it's been over 3 yrs and no more bears... no raccoons , no possums.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I'm hoping my neighbor will take care of it. He has chickens. Last sign of coons or possum were four years ago according to the neighbor. He wouldn't tell me what happened to the raccoon except it involved his pit bulls, a tree and a shovel. Since we have been here (3 years) we haven't had any issues. Then we got raided last night. We are going to keep all the torts inside until Thursday, the next warming up period. it is likely some of the girls may have another clutch planned. Thinking of calling a trapper just to get rid of the immediate problem. Hopefully keeping everyone inside for the next few days, robbing the critter of its food source will encourage it to move on.
They won't move on. Trust me.
I have traps, come get them...use sardines for bait,
Not that I've ever trapped them, you know.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
okay I think I'll pass then

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Some people have reported success with motion activated sprinklers.

I like the electric fence idea too.

Continual trapping will work too, but releasing them in foreign territory almost guarantees a torturous death. I would recommend humane euthanasia for trapped raccoons.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as much as I despise Coons I don't want a torturous death
for them

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm awake much to late. 3:15am my time. I use hotlines around my outside pen. It's about 4" above the top edge. I'll explain more when I'm properly awake come Sunday LATE morning.
That said, I use hotline tape, not "wire" with mine. It's easier to see, so easier to remember. And I learned this with livestock and it seems to work with the wild life as well. If the critter gets "zapped" below the eyes, they jump backwards, if "zapped" above the eyes, they tend to lunge forward. This is not good for tortoise or turtle. Just climb proof the habit so your shelled one can't reach the hotline. Luck to you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Raccoons can't resist apples in a trap.
You also won't accidentally catch anything else with an apple.
Catch them and humanely shoot them.
There is no other option. They can UNdo anything that you do and they will not be deterred.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Some people have reported success with motion activated sprinklers.

Continual trapping will work too, but releasing them in foreign territory almost guarantees a torturous death. I would recommend humane euthanasia for trapped raccoons.

Tom, I wasn't aware of this. Is releasing in others areas always a death sentence for raccoons? Palm Beach is literally crawling with raccoons (and not just the Donald Trump types either) and I've released a lot of them where I work, which has a large wooded area adjacent to the property I manage. But I've never encountered a dead one---except on the roads of course.
Good info, thanks.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Tom, I wasn't aware of this. Is releasing in others areas always a death sentence for raccoons? Palm Beach is literally crawling with raccoons (and not just the Donald Trump types either) and I've released a lot of them where I work, which has a large wooded area adjacent to the property I manage. But I've never encountered a dead one---except on the roads of course.
Good info, thanks.
I was curious about that too, I'm in a more rural are with a giant preserve close by. I was thinking of trapping and relocating. Anyone have thoughts of using cayenne and black pepper to affect their sensitive noses and deter them that way?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Yeah, Havahart trap with 1/2 sardine in it.
And have a barrel of water nearby to drop entire trap in (after securing trap so it doesn't open with the struggle).
Come back a few minutes later. Possums take longer to drown than coons.
Not totally humane, but the best i've come up with.