Quietly in his sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Walter (the larger of my 2 hermann's) passed away in his sleep during the night. He hadn't been eating much and was very lethargic for about a week prior. Took him to the best vet i could find (called around and was recommended by other vets) He was given a thorough exam and "Cocktail Booster" shot of electrolytes, vitamins and calcium and he seemed to be coming around, was easting better and had more energy. Fecal sample has been sent for analysis as Randy is now the priority, although he has been a real champ from the get go. Lots of energy and appetite.

Even though i educated myself as much as possible (more than the average new tort owner for sure) I chalk this up to inexperience on my part and not being able to identify the symptoms earlier. The vet feels confident that the lab will return results of parasites and we will go forward after the results come back. Looking back i noticed the difference in appetites and energy levels but thought this was just a difference in ..... temperaments for lack of a better word.

The vet is making inquiries to see if any local universities or colleges would like to opportunity to autopsy as torts are quite rare around here. If not he will rest in my back yard under a newly planted rose bush.

R.I.P. Walter
71646dca.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
So very sorry for you loss.

It is real easy to look back and now realize that we missed the warning signs. We do the best that we can and it's just not enough sometimes.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am very sorry this has happened to you. BUT as a new keeper it is still not your fault. Please don't blame yourself

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Oh Dear...so sorry to hear about Walter.

Sounds like you did all you could to help him. Its hard to distinguish different personalities or a problem, they are very difficult creatures to read.

I can appreciate your problem with lack of reptile knowledgeble vets-same for my area too.
In the UK they(reptile vets)would have probably treated Walter the same-usually vitamin injections and fecal check, good examination and see how it goes....

SO Sorry:(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs* So sorry and it's sad, but your doing a great thing to check to see if anybody can use him to further their knowledge and if not, the rosebush thing.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
So sorry for your loss, I hope the vet can give you some leads to help you understand better. We do the best we can with the knowledge we have and I know you did your best by him. R.I.P Walter

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
With most reptiles I guess it's very difficult to see the signs of illness. Sorry for your loss. :(

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Living close to Toronto myself, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to find help in the way of a vet that specializes in Torts. You did all you could.

LORI

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Amazing how attached one can get to an animal even in only a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.