My baby Hermann sleeps alot is that normal?

pjhdisfan

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, FL
Hi all! We live in Central Florida and recently have a new family member. He is an Eastern Hermann's Tortoise.
I have read that babies sleep 18-22 hours. But my little guy is about 2 months old, been with us since he was 2-3 weeks old, and seems to be sleepy alot. We have the temp in his enclosure at 80 degrees F (26.7 C) and 50% humidity.
When I take him outside in the sunshine, he will run around, but as soon as I bring him inside, he is back to sleep.
Is this normal?
His first vet well visit is next week, just to check on him for overall health.
Thanks
Paula

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Is he sleeping or just burrowing? hes a baby, they hide most of the day. do you have a basking spot in his enclosure? if so what kind? what is the basking temp? can you post pics of the tort and the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When baby tortoises are put outside they run around because they are scared. Baby tortoises are prey and when put out into a big wide open space they are afraid they are going to be eaten.

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
When baby tortoises are put outside they run around because they are scared. Baby tortoises are prey and when put out into a big wide open space they are afraid they are going to be eaten.

Oh no. I feel horrible now. I always sit with him and have him right next to me. Here I thought he enjoyed it [emoji22]

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
Is he sleeping or just burrowing? hes a baby, they hide most of the day. do you have a basking spot in his enclosure? if so what kind? what is the basking temp? can you post pics of the tort and the enclosure?

IMG_7697.jpgIMG_7703.jpgIMG_7699.jpg

He does a lot of basking right after he eats and after soaks. He spends a lot of time under the heat lamp area. And when he naps it is near or in the log under the heat lamp or next to his air plants and rocks