questions (Temperature for Russian, and not eating)

Nix_blondie

New horsefield tortoise owner- tortoise wants to hibernate

I brought a horsefield tortoise the day after yesterday and I am abit concerned about him. All he has wanted to do is burry himself in the enclosure and has not eaten or drank since I've had him. He did poop and wee the first day I got him but does not emerge from his little burrow and I'm afraid he's wanting to hibernate I keep the uv heat lamp on throughout the day and he still does not want to come out even to investigate I've tried bathing him a couple of times already and also tried hand feeding him but he is not interested one bit. He is still so tiny and only a year old I've been told so unsure wether he should be hibernating, the weather is pretty cold at the minute being winter time so am just thinking that is why he is wanting to hibernate. Is this normal and should I be worried, I know it takes a couple of days to settle in to a new home but should I carry on letting him hibernate and if so shall I put him in a cardboard box with the usual stuff? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: New horsefield tortoise owner- tortoise wants to hibernate

Hello and Welcome:). Be sure to check the temps with a good gauge. Not those disc types things sold at pet stores, they are not reliable.

Nix_blondie

Hi yes I have a exo terra probe thermometer so the temp seems to be correct, thanks

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

needs to be warm and 13 hours of light a day... at least.. and needs time to adjust to the new home...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

If your temps are good and confirmed then I would say you are in for a long winter of bugging your tort to force him to remain in somewhat awake status....I would suggest against letting him brumate if you have had him for less than a full year....

What size is your tort?

Xsvwill

I have two questions that would help a lot.

1) the day time temp in my torts pen is about 73-75 and 98 in the basking spot. I assume thats good, if not let me know. At night, because my room is in a basement the room temp drops to about 65 which I hear is good for russian torts, but for some reason the temp in the pen only gets to 70-71. Is that still okay? or is there a recommendation to somehow make it 65 in the pen like it is in the room?

2) I put a decent amount of food in my tort's pen, fresh each morning. Because I have yet to see her eat, im not sure what is too little, what is good, and what is too much. So far she eats every last bit one day, then nothing the next, then everything the next, then continued every other day. Any thoughts? Should I put less food in so she eats less every day instead of a lot every other? Or do something else and try to figure out the right amount?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If a tortoise can't get his core temperature warmed up to AT LEAST 80F degrees, he won't eat. You may have to cover the habitat to keep the warm air inside.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Not with Russians. I think the '80 rule' is a myth, and the myth is not about eating but digesting. Your temps sound pretty good. 80 ambient would be way too warm for them.

Xsvwill

She's eating though. Just everything in her bowl one day, then eats nothing in her bowl the next. And repeats that process. Is that okay? Or should I change the amounts or something else so she eats everyday?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she does t want to eat every day, then that's fine. I would offer her food on those days anyway, but maybe a little less, so you have less waist. My Russian eats everyday, he's a pig. He has similar temps as yours, colder at night though and a basking spot of around 95. He uses is basking spot every morning and is healthy, happy and seems to be doing great. I would personally still provide a basking spot of 85 or more. As long as he can come and go under it on his terms, it wouldn't hurt to have it.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
There's a basking spot already provided as mentioned in the post. Probably good about not eating everyday. Russians only are active for 3-4 months a year in the wild, and even then they don't eat all the time. Often in captivity they're overfed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I thought you were saying they didn't need a basking spot at all. Knowing mine uses his, I felt it wouldn't hurt to provide one for them to choose too use. No, I don't have 80 ambient temp. Mines enclosure is L shaped, so it is 80 in the largest part of the L his water is also in that area. The smaller part of the L is his hide and colder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your temps sound fine. How old is your tortoise? How long have you had her? What is she housed in? What are you feeding her?

Xsvwill

Tom said:
Your temps sound fine. How old is your tortoise? How long have you had her? What is she housed in? What are you feeding her?

Not sure how old she is. I bought her from petco last week and they didn't know an age. I have the zoo lander tortuous house which I really like. I'm feeding her a random mix of kale, collards, cucumber, and yellow squash. I different combo each day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant that tortoises need to be able to warm their core up to at least 80F degrees. That doesn't mean that I think the overall temp in the enclosure needs to be 80F degrees, only that they need a spot where they can warm up. Sorry for the confusion. Russian tortoises do quite well with cooler overall temps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tort, coming from Petco, is most likely wild caught and around 4-5 years old, possibly older.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant that tortoises need to be able to warm their core up to at least 80F degrees. That doesn't mean that I think the overall temp in the enclosure needs to be 80F degrees, only that they need a spot where they can warm up. Sorry for the confusion. Russian tortoises do quite well with cooler overall temps.
Ok I misunderstood, I thought you meant 80 ambient as in the original post a basking spot is mentioned so then I meant that the current temps are fine but I think Wellington thought that I meant not to have a basking spot. Amazing how everyone reads things differently lol.

Xsvwill

wellington said:
Your tort, coming from Petco, is most likely wild caught and around 4-5 years old, possibly older.

I'm not sure. She is smallish. A lot smaller than the other torts in there so I'm not sure

Xsvwill

And yes, I have a basking spot at 98 degrees. She dug herself a little hole she loves to lay in under the bulb.

Nix_blondie

I have only had him a week and he is still quite tiny about 8cm. I do keep waking him up and trying to get him abit more active but he isn't very interested and still has not eaten a thing since I have had him.