hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

russesllthetortoise

5 Year Member
hi i am new to this site
i have a male horsefield tortoise and he is 6 year old
i have only had him a couple of months(he is my first tort)
when i got him the owners said it is advised not to hibernate them but i dont htink it is right he has never been hibernated before and i dont know if i should hibernate him as it might be dangerous to hibernate him if he has never been hibernated before

what should i do

thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! There are both pros and cons to hibernating/brumating, in the end it comes down to what you feel you should do and what you can handle. Read some of the threads with this as a topic to see some of the comments on both sides. Another thing to keep in mind, is we usually advise folks to not do this the first year they have the animal. This is just to be sure the animal is healthy and adjusted before you go forward with hibernation/brumation.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. I'm new to torts, too, and I have Hermannis; both 6 yrs+. Got them in July. I was advised not to hibernate them, as it's tricky and they might not wake up, if conditions aren't ideal.

May[TURTLE]
Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
IN MY OPINION, some tortoises should be hibernated, and Russians are on top of this list. They are pretty much designed by nature and by their habitat to brumate over half the year. HOWEVER, this puts a real burden on the keeper to do it right. Russians, for example, will be badly affected by much humidity or dampness in the hibernacula.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38255.html

This will give you some insight on how diverse this very subject can be....as was previously shared, you will want to educate yourself as well as ask questions on the best way to support a tort before, during and after brumation and then you will need to be the one to make that decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.