Questions Galore?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kheid129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Howdy,
I have decided that the time is right for fulfilling my love of all things tortoise. Now, I need to decide what kind and get suggestions from experienced keepers on their habits. Here is some background on me: I live in Austin, Tx with a nice yard (if needed). I've water turtles before as well as random exotics.
  • small
  • herbivore
  • pretty (that would be a plus)
  • hardy/easy keeper
  • outgoing

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

-Kaitlyn

Shellback

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Norfolk , VA
-Kaitlyn

I'd go Mediteranian! if I was you try a russian or a greek and a outdoor enclosure is best for the spring and summer if you can pull it off!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i agree with shellback, a russian is probably a great tortoise for you to start out with. they fit all of your requirements and would probably do really well where you live. you could probably even keep him outside for most of the year.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
"DITTO" Russians fit your requirement. Plus, I think they are pretty quirky.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kaitlyn, I have to agree, a Russian or Greek would meet all of your requirments. And I have yet to see a tort that wasn't pretty :D

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
www.russiantortoise.org is a good site to get info on russians, They do best in an outdoor secured pen, they are diggers along with most torts so you would need to put chicken wire down before the substrate. And you can buy seeds from various places to grow in the pen along with some other edible plants for food, and watering them will make humidity. They hibernate in the winter, or you can bring them inside with proper housing/lighting for the winters. I have 8 of them and they all have great personalities, and make for great torts. You can pick up a reptiles magazine and they have dates for expos/breeder sales and I believe there is one coming to texas soon. Just make sure you have done your homework and have everything setup before you bring your new tort home. Good Luck in your choice.

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have heard from alot of people how great russains are as a first tortoise, i have a herman and find her a very great breed too, hardy, and attractive, very lovable

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
I prefer both greeks and hermann's. Russians are great too but I found them as the best escape artist of all tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.