Box turtle brumation questions.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
So I've been wanting to get a few box turtles for awhile now. Unfortunately I live in GA and the only ones I can legally own are Ornates, but I haven't had much luck finding any. LLL reptiles currently has some for sale that says they are 4-5". My Redfoot will be coming inside soon for winter and I can use his outdoor pen for the new box turtles if I decide to get them and build my Redfoot a new one come spring. So they will be living outside and it will be getting cold in just a few more weeks. My question is it safe for them to brumate outside at this size? Also would they need some time to adjust to their new surroundings before brumating? Should I wait till spring to spring to try to find some or would it be ok to get a few now and have them almost immediately go into brumating? Any advice from some experienced keepers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I don’t know anything about brumation, but I took this earlier and thought of snap. IMG_9007.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I think you're better off waiting until spring to get the ornate box turtles. It's late enough in the year now that you wouldn't have time to get to know each turtle well enough to know what is normal FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL. You'd be heading into brumation without a solid baseline... You'd be flying blind.

Otherwise, if you find some ornates you can't pass up, plan to keep them inside and awake (active) this winter. It's safest to assume that Unknown health condition translates into Questionable health condition. They might slow down a little bit inside, but nothing like they would outside. Let them get used to your local climate before they overwinter outside.

Just my thoughts, for whatever it's worth. :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think you're better off waiting until spring to get the ornate box turtles. It's late enough in the year now that you wouldn't have time to get to know each turtle well enough to know what is normal FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL. You'd be heading into brumation without a solid baseline... You'd be flying blind.

Otherwise, if you find some ornates you can't pass up, plan to keep them inside and awake (active) this winter. It's safest to assume that Unknown health condition translates into Questionable health condition. They might slow down a little bit inside, but nothing like they would outside. Let them get used to your local climate before they overwinter outside.

Just my thoughts, for whatever it's worth. :)
This is what I was leaning towards because I don't have a suitable enclosure inside ready at the moment. Thanks for the reply.