Questions after turtle death

Fowlken8

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque
I’m actually pretty sad guys. I’ve had this turtle for 18 years. If counting rings on a shell is accurate. I believe he was approaching 30. In captivity I think that’s maybe good.

I found him at the lake when I was 15, nearly ran him over in my truck. Realized it was a box turtle and grabbed him since I had one back home already. I know now, it’s not good to remove them from their homes and wouldn’t do it again. He’s always been aggressive and always looked rough.

they live in a giant terrarium with coconut bedding, uv lights, fresh water. They’re picky eaters but will eat crickets, earthworms, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes and a couple more things.

visually he’s always looked a little odd. The tip of his head between his eyes and his snout have always looked wrinkled or a little caved in. Weird looking.

sadly yesterday, I found him upside down in the water dish. It’s not very deep so he wasn’t submerged or drowned. But his nose was in the water. I flipped him over and he moved but I noticed that his strange forehead and about area had rotted away. It was an awful sight. That morning he looked normal and I come home to find half of his face gone. I felt sick. How does this happen? His shell is always healthy, nails and everything grow. He eats and plays in the water.

I put him in a box alone waiting until today to call the vet. He passed away. I feel so bad knowing how much pain he must of been in. I’m so confused as to how this happened. How does a specific part just decay? Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh darn! That's so sad to hear.

It sounds like he had some sort of skin condition and being in the water for any length of time loosened it and made it come off. Doesn't sound like there was anything you could have done differently.

It's always so hard to lose one. I'm so sorry.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss

Fowlken8

Albuquerque
Thanks guys. Today I’m going to petco. I’m getting new soil, a new water dish, new hideout for the remaining turtle, disinfectant and more water conditioner. I guess I’ll spoil this one now. She’s even older though…has me nervous but she was the leader and bigger and just overall more robust.

from what I have read, box turtles don’t live very long so she might be enjoying her last years as well. I’ve had her 21 years, and she was already about 4” at that time as well…