does my russian tortoise have shell rot or is it just wore down?

expired_oj

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
i got my russian tortoise on february 23 this year from petsmart and he looked pretty healthy his shell was smooth and there was no discharge from the eyes or trouble breathing. he was shy at first and but eager to eat. i’ve moved his enclosure around my backyard a couple times. around june i moved his enclosure and he decided to burrow under a stone wall. he would burrow pretty deep and it would take him a bit to wriggle his way out. but one day i noticed when i woke him out of his burrow to give him food. his shell was white and scrapped off. now i thought this would heal after i move his enclosure somewhere else so he wouldn’t dig under a stone wall. but it still the same as it was in june and it’s november. i’m a bit worried it if its infected. he has had no behavioral changes. he’s always trying to escape ever since i got him but i feel like that’s normal. i do let him walk around my backyard for a few hours everyday and i always find him buried somewhere but his shell issue never goes away or heals. image.jpg
image.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Looks like shell rot to me. Get something strong like Hibiscrub (chlorhexadine) or Betadine, clean, scrape and scrub the shell, you will need to remove as much of the flaky rotted material as possible, then apply the anti-microbial solution liberally. You can use the Chlorhex or betadine for the first couple days only, then you need an anti-microbial cream or ointment to apply, you can get that from a Vet or depending on your location some topical fungal treatments for feet and nails are suitable. If you are concerned about infection then a Vet visit is in order, anti-biotics can be administered a couple ways.

If it were me, this guy would be coming into an indoor enclosure to be kept warm, dry and clean for the next few months while he lays down some new shell over the exposed boney plates. If you do nothing, for sure it will get worse. If you do everything right, the shell will regrow to cover the exposed patches eventually but the new shell does look different, it will take a couple months of optimal conditions to lay down a thin layer of new shell.

What does his plastron look like? Can you post some shots of the rest of his shell as well, you will need to make sure you treat it everywhere.

him digging and scraping it on a stone wall probably has made it look worse but that is not the cause of this.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't think I have ever seen shell rot on the carapece of a tortoise. This is not shell rot on your Russian Tortoise, IMHO. It is areas when the scute keratin has come off the shell exposing the bone underneath, but it does not appear to have been caused by fungal activity as shell rot is. I would say it is more likely to have been caused by excessive dryness, wear and tear, or even excessive heat under a basking lamp.

Sometimes the scute keratin will regrow and cover these areas again if the causes of the problem are identified and addressed, but it is not guaranteed. These appear to be fairly old, so I am thinking they will just remain as is, but I would recommend making sure that tortoise is well hydrated at all times and possibly putting some oils on the shell to keep it from being so dry in appearance.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
oof, lol. I did not know that kind of damage could happen from just being dry and wear and tear. I also didnt know rot on the carapace isnt a thing, good to know.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with Zovick, my Russian has damaged it's shell in the same way by digging under a rock. Your tort looks really dry and would benefit from a soak once a week. Be sure to offer fresh water everyday, although Russians aren't big drinkers they still should have access. A clay plant saucer works perfectly.