Questions about getting my 3-toed back in shape

Coliecat

First, can anyone determine sex?
Next, how can I help his shell?
Also, I am working on his beak. He doesn't want to let me file it, but I keep trying. So hopefully soon it will get worn down. I feed him from a reptile dish, but is that material going to help wear down his beak?
I am working on putting some weight on him too. He eats okay (night crawlers, meal worms, crickets, and various fruit and veggies), but he is still skinny. Is there anything I can feed him to fatten him up?
He is social and comes out or perks up his head at me whenever I come around.
He lives inside with a heat lamp, uvb light, area to dig, some ceramic pots to hide in, and a water dish to drink and soak in. He has an eastern box turtle roommate. They get along well.

I live in the desert and it's too hot for him to live full time outside. I do take him outside with me in the mornings while I water my garden and plants.

Thank you <3

Attachments

• 1499198102605.jpg
    1499198102605.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 36

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
looks like a male, i doubt you will be able to fatten him up lol, he is old, and how he is now but you can improve his general well being. high calory foods is what you want to fatten him up like bananas, avocado, peaches, pears, cantaloupes, eggs, hamburger:) feed only off the flat rock or concrete slab - it will naturally file his beak down, and do not forget the snails :)

Coliecat

Thank you! I know it probably sounds silly to fatten him up. He does eat well, so I'm not terribly concerned about it, but he just doesn't seem to have a lot of meat on his bones lol. I'm taking him and my eastern to the vet tomorrow to get their beaks and nails trimmed.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's a male. I agree with feeding on rock or slate. Also provide cuttlebone. I would have a vet trim the beak, then the rock and cuttlebone will keep it in good shape from then on.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
please tell me how they do it without the turtle retracting everything into the shell and closing up:) i always wondered :)

Coliecat

Ha! I am wondering too! I hope it's not too traumatic. I'll make sure I have some night crawlers for them (their favorite) to make them happy.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The MBD turtle I took in was very bold and never closed up. I suppose shy turtles would close up. When I took him in she held him up to do it which caused him to kick and struggle, not close up. Not that struggling made it easy!