Very ill 3-toed box turtle

I work at a humane society and on Friday we discovered a turtle in a cardboard box abandoned outside our door. His right rear leg is edematous and basically non-functional with little to no pain sensation. He's underweight, and currently not eating but I don't know how much of that is due to his leg, his previous circumstances, and/or his currently incredibly inadequate housing. I've offered: various lettuces, strawberries, mushrooms, tofu, night crawlers, wax worms and a dubia roach which he watches with interest but doesn't attempt to eat. He spends most of his time in his water bowl, soaking his leg.

I decided to ask the higher ups if I could take him when the stray hold period was over, so tomorrow the turtle becomes mine. I've already taken him to a reptile vet (none of the vets where I work know much about turtles and/or do not feel capable of adequately providing medical care) where he was put on zosyn injections once a day, and he's been given a single dose of injectable metacam for pain.

I'm trying to set up a good temporary habitat for my new friend that will allow him to be more comfortable. I'm in a condo, but my balcony faces northwest and only gets a couple hours of afternoon sunlight with part of the porch in permanent shade. I also have a 54 gallon opaque plastic tote (~42x21x18h) that I thought I would place in a spot where half of it would get the afternoon sun and the other half would remain permanently in shade as a sort of daytime place for him. I've got eco-earth, sphagnum moss, a hide big enough for him to turn around in, a water dish that he can climb in an out of, and I thought to get him some strawberry plants and a lettuce. I'll bring him inside at night, but he'll have to do with a 31qt plastic bin with a smaller water dish and just sphagnum moss to hide in.

My hope is to be able to get him feeling good enough to amputate that leg; it definitely needs to go. I can't afford to do it right now, but can in a couple weeks, as one of my pet snakes required 2 surgeries back to back just last month and I'm still recovering from that.

So, any advice that you can give me is more than welcome. I want to do what I can for him, but if you think euthanasia is indeed the best option, don't hesitate to say so. I'm a vet tech and while I'm optimistic, I don't want him to needlessly suffer. I just know diddly squat about these guys and would like people with more experience to give their 2 cents.

LG5ksi.jpg

REmyAe.jpg

NWVAyu.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Turtles can do just fine with three legs. That leg definitely looks like a hindrance to him. With the vets do it earlier and let you make payments? Has he eaten anything since you got him? They usually eat about 80% protein and 20% fruits and vegetables. Sometimes you can get them to a more 50-50 ratio. But right now I think it's just important that he eats and stays hydrated and warm enough. Your ideas for housing seem pretty good. If you can put some plants in the enclosure so that he can feel hidden. It is probably not the right Time of year but if you can find some leaf litter that would be great also. They seem to pep up when they are exposed to sunlight. But they also like rain, or you can lightly spray the enclosure. If your area is prone to rain you will want to drill holes in the bottom of the bin so that it does not flood in a rainstorm. He also may not eat if you're watching him, my box turtle would never eat when I watched her. She did like to hunt so I put some worms and crickets in her enclosure for her to chase down.
I think it is great that you're giving this guy a chance. I definitely would not recommend euthanasia right now if otherwise he seems okay. Please keep us posted on his progress.

I'm in California... rain at this point would be greeted with glee and dancing, so I shall mist his enclosure daily. I will plant him some strawberries, maybe a fern on the shady side? He's not eaten anything since at least friday as far as I'm aware. I'm hoping sunlight and better housing will perk up his appetite. I'll talk with Dr. Sanders tomorrow and ask about a payment plan.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can make the substrate damp. When I had trouble getting mine to eat someone suggested the canned dog food with venison and sweet potato. I guess wellness and new balance are both brands that make it. Mine also really like to blackberries. Also try leaving the food in there for a couple days, sometimes they like things just slightly over right. Check out the box turtle specific section here on the forum for some ideas.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My Boxturtle never really ate the plants in the enclosure, so you can get plants and put in there. Just rinse off the roots and the plant completely and put it in dirt without chemicals. Or you can plant it directly into the substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I've looked closely at the picture and X-ray, and I can't see anything like a string or hair wrapped around the leg. And the bone looks ok on the X-ray. It might just be a bad sprain. I can't see any reason to amputate right now. Just give him time. Soaking him daily in warm water will be soothing, and they love to sit in water.

Keep offering him foods that wiggle. Once he realizes he's in a safe place and no one is going to hurt him, he'll eat.

The leg is so swollen right now that his skin is devitalized. While the vet was draining the fluid with a syringe the skin on his foot tore just from gentle pressure and it did not bleed at all. He's probably going to slough all the skin from the knee down.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They like wriggly foods and overripe smelly foods. Offer worms & pill bugs, hard boiled egg, overripe fruits especially bright colored ones: cantaloupe, strawberries, mulberries. Lightly cooked sweet potato. Cooked or wilted corn on the cob. Tomato. Banana. Fish. Pinky mice. Moths. Boiled chicken. Slugs. Pumpkin. Apple. Baby food. Mine won't eat lettuce.

Often they prefer to eat at dawn or dusk.

Some will eat aquatic turtle pellets.

Give him a cuttle bone, too.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
He's lucky to have you. I am sure anything you do will greatly enhance his life !

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
He is lucky to have you. He is a beautiful box turtle!! I like his new home. Keep us posted.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Get a bunch of night crawlers (earth worms) and some pill bugs and throw them in the enclosure. Might give him some incentive to hunt. Also put a piece of flat slat to feed him on as his beak is a little over grown. Some cuttle bone in there might help too. You could also make a mix, after he starts eating , of greens, sweet potato (cooked) carrots, fruit, mushrooms and some turtle brittle soaked. I always add a little ground venison. Once he starts eating you can balance out his diet. Poor thing...not a young turtle. I think eventually, when he adjusts to his new home, and is feeling better, he should start eating. That's a nice enclosure you made for him and the sun should help him out too.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Turtles are tough critters,
a bigger enclosure would be beneficial I think, and a bigger pool
but you are ding great
keep us posted on progress.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's awfully pretty. I just love the red skin and eyes. How's the leg?