questions about basking, will this be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
wellington said:
That should work fine. Better to do a thermostat, but will work until then. However, if your basking light is a mvb, not sure if that would be good for the life of the bulb. Also, if you do get a thermostat, they cannot be used on MVB.

(Busy taking notes) why can't a thermostat be used with MVB?

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

mikeh

5 Year Member
Cycling MVB on/off shortens its life considerably.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Ah, I see. You CAN, but not recommended. :)
Good to know, mine is on a timer...any considerations there?

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: questions about basking, will this be good enough?

SenjiSandy said:
Ah, I see. You CAN, but not recommended. :)
Good to know, mine is on a timer...any considerations there?

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Technically you can use it with thermostat but it will kill the bulb quickly. If MVB its used as a light source in addition to heat would you want you want it on/off every half hour so.

With timer as long as its cycled for day/night it's fine.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
For an MVB it has a ballast within the bulb that needs a cool down time when shut off before turned back on or it can blow the bulb. A thermostat will turn it on and off with the temperature and this could cause it to blow, plus causing unnecessary wear and tear on the filament. I have used MVB on timer for my russians and had no problems but I wouldn't try it on a thermostat.

As for the enclosure I almost have it where I need it, right now there is a 60 watt bulb, just regular household bulb, for basking and it is getting the temps to 100ish, the other side is capping at 82-83 and the middle is around 84-85. Next step is to try the basking spot with a 40 watt and hopefully it will only be in the 90s and she can move in.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I have a basking light and it alternates thru the morning/evening with the UV bulb. 2-3 hour cycles.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
SenjiSandy said:
I have a basking light and it alternates thru the morning/evening with the UV bulb. 2-3 hour cycles.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

How do your torts like that? That was the original question I asked about before I switched to the lights I have now(suggested here) which is working better than what I originally had tried. I will probably set it on a timer as well anyway because from 3pm-6pm the sun shines through a window directly on top of the side with basking and gets a bit too hot for those hours, so I will probalby do basking with its own timer and have it switch off for that time just to be safe.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Seems to be working ok, prob is I'm at work, otherwise they are outside (or at least the Sulcata is outside on nice days).

I come home and the bath is filthy, food all eaten, rocks moved around...seems alot of activity. Larry is a piglet and he seems very content. I'm getting a Hermanni in a few weeks, so I'm setting up for the new "child". LOL

Picked up a CHE today for night time warmies. My house gets cold (50-55°) at night in the winter.
Don't want Tort-sicles!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Well I am going to try it as well. When I got home from work today it was at 103 under the lamp and 84 cool side, as the sun was hitting it again. I put it on the second timer so now the UVB is on from 930-930 and the basking lamp is on from 930-3 and then 730-930.

Status
Not open for further replies.