Question !!!

M.Okda

Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria
Hi everyone
I really two questions
I have a 4 months sulcata tortoise, I wondered if i can only put peat moss as a substrate for it...or I must mix it with coconut coir or sand for best results?
My second question is that what should i do about heating and lightning...should I use a mixed one (mixed bulb for heating and uvb light) but this will be a problem as if it was hot like in the summer and I want to turn off heating source, I have to turn of both uvb and heating or I should separate them ...one heating lamp in basking area and another uvb lamp at another corner or should it be compressed fluorescent lamp above the tortoise table??
Thanks inadvance!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I can't answer all your questions but I do know that sand isn't usually recommended because it can irritate eyes and skin and if it gets on food and is ingested it can cause the gut to become impacted. I also know that the MVB bulbs which give heat, light and uvb aren't popular now because they dry and damage tort shells. Humidity and heat will be difficult to control in a table and many people use a large viv for babies.

This may help you until someone more knowledgeable about raising sullies comes along.

Are you in Alexandria Egypt?

M.Okda

Alexandria
Hi and welcome.
I can't answer all your questions but I do know that sand isn't usually recommended because it can irritate eyes and skin and if it gets on food and is ingested it can cause the gut to become impacted. I also know that the MVB bulbs which give heat, light and uvb aren't popular now because they dry and damage tort shells. Humidity and heat will be difficult to control in a table and many people use a large viv for babies.

This may help you until someone more knowledgeable about raising sullies comes along.

Are you in Alexandria Egypt?
Thank you a lot for your help ❣

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Peak breaks down very fast and turns very acidic.

Bark chips are cleaner and safer. But for a soft, smooth substrate, coco coir is recommended (dampened and packed down).