question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello! I am so glad I found this forum! I have a six month old sulcata named Tonka. He is such a cool pet. I have been having no issues, but I noticed the other day after his soak that he has pink in the cracks of his shell on the bottom. To tell you the truth I am not sure if that was there before and normal, or something new. His shell does not look hurt or injured, just a slight pinkish in the cracks. He is eating fine, and seems to be going on with his daily routine with no worries. Am I being an over-protective new mom, or should I worry?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
hi shannon, welcome to TFO!
i've heard of others seeing similar patterns on their tortoises carapace but i personally don't know enough about it to comment. i know other folks here will be able to help you.
for reference, do you think you could post a photo of what you're seeing so we can better help you help your hatchling?

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome! I will take some pics when I get home. He normally comes to work with me, but I left him home to have the day off in case he was not feeling well.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Pics will help, it could either be fast growth or something more serious.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wait a few years, when he is full grown, you won't be taking him to work anymore.

A picture would help.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
New growth does tend to be pink and this is what it sounds like to me. :D A picture can't hurt though :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes septicemia shows up as pink in the new growth, but I've seen many many small sulcatas with pink new growth. Its probably nothing to be concerned about.

Yvonne

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow! Thanks everyone - I do feel better. I will try to get a pic in today - my camera died last night! I can't wait to show off Tonka. It is so nice to find others that love tortoises like I do. Everyone I come in contact with thinks I am crazy to be in love with a tortoise.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Its not crazy at all. The guys at the fire station rib me a little, but in fun. They know me, I have never been one for the "Mainstream" We Really love our Smeagol, and would not have it any other way. If you are really concerned, maybe you should take him into a good vet that knows their stuff about Sulcatas. Even if there is nothing wrong, and it sounds like there's not, its a good idea to get a baseline on your new baby. From there he will be "a new pt" and easier to get treated should you have a problem down the line. Which considering how long you will have him is a good chance he will need some medical assistance sooner or later.

Morty

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Actually, this is the very thing I just logged on about. I noticed tonight that the main line down Morty's plastron had a pinky color to it. He has had a slight (very very minor) resp. infection and just finished a round of antibiotics so he should be better - how do I post a picture so I can show you what I am looking at?

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tonka has a vet appointment, I could only find one in a 60 miles radius that will see Sulcatas - and she cannot see him until March 21st. AAGGGHHH! He seems happy and his normal hungry self so I think it might be the growth factor, but we will see. I too want to know how to post my picture, I could not figure it out this morning!! I really want everyone to see my baby - he is so photogenic. I have to brag, he won second place in the pet costume contest at Petco at Halloween!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shannon I am looking forward to seeing that pic. I had my dogs there they were skunks. I'm thinking of Tort costumes this year.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just save a pic to your desktop, click attachments on your post, browse to the pic, and double click. Hope he is feeling better, mine just got over one a moderate one.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
shannon74 said:
Tonka has a vet appointment, I could only find one in a 60 miles radius that will see Sulcatas - and she cannot see him until March 21st. AAGGGHHH! He seems happy and his normal hungry self so I think it might be the growth factor, but we will see. I too want to know how to post my picture, I could not figure it out this morning!! I really want everyone to see my baby - he is so photogenic. I have to brag, he won second place in the pet costume contest at Petco at Halloween!!

When you go to your vet appointment take a fresh poop sample in a baggie so s(he can do a fecal to be sure Tonka has no parasites, protozoa. bacteria, etc. Probably the pink is no problem but better to get it checked just in case.
Good luck
Patsy

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advise!! I never thought to take a sample! Even though he will probably give her a sample when he gets scared. I cannot get him to not pee and poop when someone other than me is handling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.