Question regarding substrate and new enclosure

StephsMe

Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Louisiana
For little leopards. 55 gallon aquarium with top soil mixed with Forrest bark (fir and/or coconut) with a super moist hidey hole made of moss on top of the bark and top soil. Is that starting to sound like a good way to start my new larger enclosure for my babies? Cool side will have a glass top, the other will be open and house the heat and UVB.
Then I am thinking about planting it... Since there will be UVB on all day... Any suggestions? I have a tiny aloe plant that would fit in nicely...?
I want an enclosure that provides more consistent heat/humidity. From everything I have read, that seems to be at the top of the list of things done wrong in the beginning.
Thanks in advance!!!
Steph.

StephsMe

Southeast Louisiana
I would not use soil. It is messy, muddy, and there is no way to know what yard waste it is made of.

Have you seen these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Done and read... Thank you. That's why I was asking. What is your preference? I like the coco husk bedding and am trying to find something to stay moist. I have read to mix the plain topsoil (organic matter and soil) and the coconut husk together so it's not as messy..?

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't allow the cool side to get down below 78F while your leopard is a baby.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I use a mixture of organic topsoil and coco coir. It works very well, but is messy. So I tend to have a mix and then layer it with 2 inches of coir. That way it doesn't turn the water so dark when my tort walks through it 100 times a day. ;)

StephsMe

Southeast Louisiana
I use a mixture of organic topsoil and coco coir. It works very well, but is messy. So I tend to have a mix and then layer it with 2 inches of coir. That way it doesn't turn the water so dark when my tort walks through it 100 times a day. ;)

Thank you! I'm kind of OCD with the water bowl... I can't stand it dirty. Layering sounds good. I read that the topsoil helps keep it moist.

StephsMe

Southeast Louisiana
Don't allow the cool side to get down below 78F while your leopard is a baby.

I learned that from my breeder. I didn't realize how high they liked it at first. We stay around 85 on cool side now. 95 on hot side... I'm hoping it will be the same in the aquarium. Makes me nervous having the heat in the plastic tub. How high do they like the humidity? I try to keep it around 60-70%

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Thank you! I'm kind of OCD with the water bowl... I can't stand it dirty. Layering sounds good. I read that the topsoil helps keep it moist.

Yes, I noticed that the topsoil holds the moisture very well and keeps the enclosure humid. I have a closed chamber though, so that also helps.

If you're worried about dirt and stuff getting in the water dish, place rocks and or moss around the water dish. It might help with the dish getting dirty.
Though, to be honest, I don't think many torts care. It's not like any water they'd find in the wild would be without dirt in it! ;)

StephsMe

Southeast Louisiana
Yes, I noticed that the topsoil holds the moisture very well and keeps the enclosure humid. I have a closed chamber though, so that also helps.

If you're worried about dirt and stuff getting in the water dish, place rocks and or moss around the water dish. It might help with the dish getting dirty.
Though, to be honest, I don't think many torts care. It's not like any water they'd find in the wild would be without dirt in it! ;)

Haha I'm sure in the wild they would take what the can get as far as water goes. Thanks for the moss/rock tip. I have plenty of both.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Done and read... Thank you. That's why I was asking. What is your preference? I like the coco husk bedding and am trying to find something to stay moist. I have read to mix the plain topsoil (organic matter and soil) and the coconut husk together so it's not as messy..?

Orchid bark is my preference for leopards. Sulcatas too. I like coco coir for baby testusdo or desert tortoises. And orchid bark for older testudo or DTs.

You can get fine grade orchid bark in bulk much cheaper at a garden center.

SoCal

I found this at my local garden supply.. Ingredients = fir bark.. Hoping it works good for my my new enclosure.. $10 for 2 cu ft.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464592661.648229.jpg