Question Redfoot Keepers

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Do Redfoot tortoises shells pyramid when they are in the sub adult stage? Or do tortoises generally pyramid during the hatchling and juvenile stages of their lives? I’m tempted to get a small group of sub adult tortoises with smooth shells but I would hate to see them pyramid later on in their lives? I really don’t know and can’t find any info on this. Can someone with knowledge on this topic chime in please? Thank you in advance! :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What do you determine as sub adult. How old. Size is irrelevant from what I'm experiencing

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Size is irrelevant to what?
The opp wants to know if the tortoises he's looking at are out of the extreme pyramiding stage. This means, is the bone structure hardened off. If he considers a sub adult at 18 months old then it's still not fully hardened and there is a chance that pyramiding can still kick in if kept in dry conditions.

With mine, at 2 yrs old they are pretty much hardened off and can take dryer times, out in the sun basking, no more soaking etc. At 2yrs old mine were 5 to 7" SCL. Size is not a gauge for bone structure strength.

I have many babies up to15 months old. Within all these babies there are clutch mates growing at slightly different rates, however they are at the same stage of bone growth regardless of size. BTW still a bit playable at 15 months old, so I still soak.

So I believe age is more important than size when we are looking at the hardened bone structure.
Opp needs to find out how old the sub adults are.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
As far as I have learned here, pyramiding can and will take place at any stage of the tortoises' growth/aging from birth, if they are kept in dry conditions.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
As far as I have learned here, pyramiding can and will take place at any stage of the tortoises' growth/aging from birth, if they are kept in dry conditions.
If put under severe dry conditions whilst growing then I imagine yes, but you don't need to soak a 2yr old redfoot every day like you do a 2 month old to maintain smooth growth. Apart from washing from time to time I've not soaked my nearly 4yr olds since they were 2. They are maintaining perfect growth. They have acces to self soak if they want to.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If put under severe dry conditions whilst growing then I imagine yes, but you don't need to soak a 2yr old redfoot every day like you do a 2 month old to maintain smooth growth. Apart from washing from time to time I've not soaked my nearly 4yr olds since they were 2. They are maintaining perfect growth. They have acces to self soak if they want to.
Yes, if they are kept in the right conditions of humidity they should be fine after 2 years old without everyday soaks, so I understand.