Question on housing

Rainbowluvpets

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I am about to get a tortoise and I’m so excited! I have a large radiator with wooden cover that I am wanting to put it’s enclosure on so it’s safe from my cats and out of dogs reach.... I was wanting to know if in the winter if the heat from the radiator would be a problem or just an added bonus for the tort? Like I said, it has a wooden radiator cover on it...

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
There's not enough information to answer this question. You'll need to measure temperatures for the top of the radiator cover (with as well as the bottom of the enclosure sitting on top of said cover to get a better idea.

However, more importantly, is the question of size on the enclosure in question.

What are the dimensions of this enclosure?
What is the age/length of the tortoise you plan on purchasing? (Russian/Horsefield I presume)

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am about to get a tortoise and I’m so excited! I have a large radiator with wooden cover that I am wanting to put it’s enclosure on so it’s safe from my cats and out of dogs reach.... I was wanting to know if in the winter if the heat from the radiator would be a problem or just an added bonus for the tort? Like I said, it has a wooden radiator cover on it...

Hello and welcome. A picture would help us understand better too.

Seems like sitting it on top of the radiator might be too hot. Only a thermometer can really answer the question. Also seems like that might be too small of a platform to rest a large enclosure on. What species and what size/age tortoise are you getting?