Leopard tortoise - red marks on neck

jenn1marsh

Some strange red marks have appeared on my leopard tort Steggy. They're on the neck just at the rear of the head. She seems healthy: is walking around a lot and eating. Anyone know what the marks could be?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457252635.120503.jpg

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Some strange red marks have appeared on my leopard tort Steggy. They're on the neck just at the rear of the head. She seems healthy: is walking around a lot and eating. Anyone know what the marks could be?View attachment 166938
It looks like scratch marks from his shell. Did You see him hiding his head frequently into the shell or rubbing his front legs over that area? Maybe something in his environment irritates his skin - weed/plants/substrate/insects (ants) and his scratching?

jenn1marsh

Ah rubbing against shell would make sense. We've moved her inside during winter and she's living in a large tub - but she she's been trying to climb out a lot, and while climbing her neck has been rubbing against the shell.

michellegolder01

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi, I was looking for images to compare my tortoise. He has marks exactly the same! Can I ask if you found out what these were?