Question: Carpet Treadmills for larger torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orillion

5 Year Member
http://www.grandcarpetmill.com/bigdog.htm

Winter is a tough time for a tortoise if they're wanting to walk up here in Canada.

There's sides on this, it only goes when they actually move their legs.

It just seems like it may work. What do you think? Insanity or might be good idea? Or do you suppose it's better if they just have a 10 x 10 or 10 x 12 room to tool in during the winter IF one decides on a sulcata?

We value your opinion! Also: please do not judge! =D There is a REASON why we're asking in the forum first!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I personally do not see anything wrong with supervised treadmill time for a tort....I bet you could get him moving for awhile especially if you food motivate...:D. I use our people treadmill during the winter for our one spazzy dog...she gets booking too...however, the treadmill we use is one you have to operate the speed....so I like the idea for a tort that it does not move unless they walk....I would be interested in how it works out for you if you should use one...and hey, if the tort does not like it then you can have you or your dog use it...lol:p

Orillion

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I personally do not see anything wrong with supervised treadmill time for a tort....I bet you could get him moving for awhile especially if you food motivate...:D. I use our people treadmill during the winter for our one spazzy dog...she gets booking too...however, the treadmill we use is one you have to operate the speed....so I like the idea for a tort that it does not move unless they walk....I would be interested in how it works out for you if you should use one...and hey, if the tort does not like it then you can have you or your dog use it...lol:p

Thank you for your reply! =D

The folk here are very nice people, and we're ever so glad to meet your acquaintances!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. I don't know why it couldn't be used. However, if you can, the large room would be good also, along with the treadmill. If you do it, don't forget to post pics. Would love to see it. Yes, i agree, this is a great forum. Very nice people, nonjudgemental, and very knowledgeable. The only place I look or ask for help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would be hesitant to use it myself, don't see any outright dangers, but an item like that for dogs, may not work as well with a tortoise, they tend to move slower than dogs.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thank you for reminding me to be greatful today. I just said one million thanks for my own temperate climate that has caused me to never consider options such as this prior to now. It is easy for me to forget the hurdles tortoise owners in cooler climated must jump to keep their animals health, happy and stimulated. Very interesting!

I suppose any form of exercise is better than no exercise, but I would be hesitant to use this myself for a few reasons. Sides or no sides, sulcatas are STRONG. I have no doubt that my adult sulcatas could destroy a treadmill and a few would probably enjoy turning into battering rams until it was splintered. Additionally, I am not sure how the mechanical aspect would hold up when exposed to urates/tortoise feces but it would be worth looking into before spending the money because I am sure that is less of a concern with the domestic dogs it was intended for. I am also not convinced they could be trained to walk in a straight line for any significant duration of time. I imagine some tortoises may be ammenable to conditioning (maybe with food bribes?) but I do not think a tortoise would naturally walk in a fashion that was conducive to treadmill exercise...they are so curious by nature I would be surprised to see one walking in a straight line without inspecting/ramming the sides of such a treadmill.

That said, I think it is commendable you are exploring options for keeping your future pet exercised and happy even in the winter months, and think this is a really interesting idea. Everything I hypothesized was just based on speculation. I could be really wrong, I certainly have never tried anything like this and I hope if you do decide to forge forward with it you will document it and share your findings with us :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Helen (or Tim):

I don't think your tortoise would weigh enough to make it work.

Once the tortoise gets big enough, you can make do with a heated shed that he can go in and out on his own. You'd be surprised how smart they are when it comes to being cold and knowing where to go to warm up. He will go outside and get his exercise, then go back into the shed when he starts to get too cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I say go for it. If it works great. If not, what's the harm?

Not being judgmental, just sharing an opinion here: I have no doubt that an adult sulcata can survive in a 10x12' enclosure over winter. My question is: Should they be forced to? A smaller species could be made quite happy over winter in an enclosure that size. Granted NO captive situation is perfect, but we all have different criterion for what is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.