Question about sulcata shell?

4fifth

5 Year Member
Just have a question about my sulcata shell,a little backround he's about four years old lives outside eats fine gets weekly soaks he's in good health but has a few marks on his she'll I'm not sure if it's from scraping against something or what,there's no odor and they are not soft
20160205_113323.jpg 20160205_113337.jpg 20160206_120521.jpg 20160205_113430.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you?

Looks like you might need to add some humidity to your heated night box.

4fifth

5 Year Member
Where are you?

Looks like you might need to add some humidity to your heated night box.

Ok Yeah I'm going to build some shelves and add some water buckets in there,I live in northern California in the valley.should I have it humid year round even in winter?

Last edited:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes as long as you have it at 80/85 degrees . You can add substrate in the night box also . Some don't some do .

4fifth

5 Year Member
Yes as long as you have it at 80/85 degrees . You can add substrate in the night box also . Some don't some do .

Ok kool,Yes thats what his heat mat is set at and I also have a heat panel on the roof set at 80. I don't have substrate only because I don't want it to be on the mat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok Yeah I'm going to build some shelves and add some water buckets in there,I live in northern California in the valley.should I have it humid year round even in winter?

I think the humidity in the night box is important year round. In our hot dry summers, they need it because the air is so dry all the time outside. In winter they need it because the electric heat we uses really dries everything out.

In the wild their burrows are more humid than the surface, and simulating this in captivity works very well for mine.

4fifth

5 Year Member
I think the humidity in the night box is important year round. In our hot dry summers, they need it because the air is so dry all the time outside. In winter they need it because the electric heat we uses really dries everything out.

In the wild their burrows are more humid than the surface, and simulating this in captivity works very well for mine.

On thank you,I will get on that asap....

4fifth

5 Year Member
Your tortoise looks great by the way!

You've raised him well.

Thank you its a never ending learning experience for me,he's about 4 years old and 27 pounds.I will add some humidity and see how it goes from there hopefully his shell shows improvement.