question about seeing out of the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I see a lot of people saying have things around the edges so that your tortoise cant look out... is it truly necessary to have things around the edges??

for example, i have a little feeder fish tank set up next to Ophelia's cage and she will just sit in there and watch them swim around..

and also, i read about putting moss in my indoor enclosure. i was curious that if i do this, will i still have to change the dirt in the enclosure? or how often

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have had several tortoises who seemed to have no issues with the clear see thru walls of a tank. Some folks have had the opposite experience. It just depends upon your own tortoise(s). sounds like yours has no problems with it.

How often you need to clean the dirt will depend on how big the tank is, how big your tortoise is, how often and how much it defecates, if you spot clean, ect.., I do a complete change about once a year and partial only a couple of times each year in most of the inside environments. If you have it planted, then your going to want to really focus on the spot cleaning rather then disturbing the plants with the total cleaning.

Those are my thoughts on it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I never cover the sides of my hatchlings, as I want them to interact with me and become pets. Those that came to me when they were older and are not as friendly, I cover the sides. I'm talking about boxies. The one tortoise that I have, I covered the sides and 6 in. along the front until he got older. Now he can see out and watches me clean or do whatever....he is in my living room...He also knows when the food is coming so goes to sit by his food stone and waits when he sees me coming. He never tries to get out, or seems stressed with the front uncovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.