Glass tank

toritot55!

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello everyone,

I have a 7 year old Herman’s tortoise. I originally had him in a 40 gallon glass tank because that is what the store told me. I then read that they need more space so I just put him in a 75 gallon glass tank yesterday. He keeps trying to climb the walls and I hear his shell against the glass. I put paper around the edges so he doesn’t feel exposed. I know glass is not the best.

I keep him inside because I live in Chicago and it is too cold for 8 months out of the year for him to be outside. I want to get a wooden enclosure because I know glass isn’t ideal, but I am afraid the zoomed or the premade ones are not big enough. I really don’t have the knowledge or ability to make my own. I found one for sale that was a bit bigger but it didn’t ship to the US. Any suggestions? Do you think he will get used to the tank and give him some time to get familiar with it? Do you know of any premade wooden enclosures that will ship to the United States?

I am just stressed thinking that he is stressed. Thank you in advance!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
The problem with glass tanks is they’re just not big enough. I would say minimum 3x6 enclosure (4x8 better) until u can get him outside. I use a gro tent converted it into my enclosure.. they are cheap and hold heat and humidity very well and come in many sizes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I have a 7 year old Herman’s tortoise. I originally had him in a 40 gallon glass tank because that is what the store told me. I then read that they need more space so I just put him in a 75 gallon glass tank yesterday. He keeps trying to climb the walls and I hear his shell against the glass. I put paper around the edges so he doesn’t feel exposed. I know glass is not the best.

I keep him inside because I live in Chicago and it is too cold for 8 months out of the year for him to be outside. I want to get a wooden enclosure because I know glass isn’t ideal, but I am afraid the zoomed or the premade ones are not big enough. I really don’t have the knowledge or ability to make my own. I found one for sale that was a bit bigger but it didn’t ship to the US. Any suggestions? Do you think he will get used to the tank and give him some time to get familiar with it? Do you know of any premade wooden enclosures that will ship to the United States?

I am just stressed thinking that he is stressed. Thank you in advance!
There is nothing wrong with glass tanks. He is doing this behavior because you've removed him from his known comfortable territory and deposited him into a strange and foreign place. He's trying to go "home". In time he will get used to the new area, and accept it as home. He would do this in a wooden sided enclosure too, especially because it is so small.

A 75 gallon tank is WAYYYY too small for a 7 year old hermanni. They need something around 4x8 feet. If you aren't handy, then find a friend or family member to help you, or hire someone. Its pretty easy to put walls and legs on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Can we see a pic of your tortoise?