Question about new Russian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Hi, just a quick question. I'm going to be getting another Russian soon. I really wanted to get a younger one. Does age difference matter at all with tortoises? Would a hatchling get along ok with a young adult (around 4 years old)?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i would not do that. the adult could either make sure not to step on the little one, or dont care at all, or get aggressive with it. i would not chance it at all. keep them separate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's usually a problem when you add a smaller tortoise to an existing tortoise's habitat, especially if the existing tortoise is larger.

Whatever you decide to do, remember a quarantine period of at least 3 months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, a new tortoise shouldn't be introduced at all. You set him up in his own habitat for at least 3 months. After that time you take a fecal sample from him and from the existing tortoise and have them both tested then go from there.

Once the quarantine is over, you can put them together, but it would be best if you can put them together in a neutral habitat. They both are going to be upset to have a new tortoise dropped into their territory. And Russians can be brutal!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Along with what Yvonne and Spike said; a hatchling or small tortoise is going to have a very difficult time completing for food and space with a larger, stronger adult size animal of most any species. It will likely get trampled, pushed out of the way constantly and worse yet, possibly injured if the size between the two is very different. Baby and very young Russian tortoises don't quite have the toughness that an adult does.

Status
Not open for further replies.