Question about checking temperature

Capybara25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello!

We've had our new redfoot hatchling for about two weeks now and I have a question about checking the temperature of the enclosure. I have one of these instant temperature/humidity gauges clipped onto the side of the enclosure (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711W37TY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)

We also have one of these kitchen thermometers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JC5PCR/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)

Should I be checking the substrate temperature or the air temperature? The instant read clip on thermometer seems to be taking the air temperature in the enclosure. We use the kitchen thermometer to check the temperature just on top of the substrate. They're both giving entirely different reads (substrate level is much warmer and air temperature is much cooler). Which one should we be maintaining?

Any advice appreciated - thank you!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a closed chamber setup?
There should only be ONE temperature IMO.
Ambient. And it should be between 80 and 84 optimally.
Redfoot shy away from bright lighting and overheat easily.
Humid and warm.
Cooler and less humid at night.

Capybara25

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
We have half of the top closed and half of it open - we wanted to make sure he had plenty of air circulation. At first it was entirely open but we were having issues maintaining humidity so we covered half of the top and hooked up a humidifier which has done the trick. Our humidity is now always between 75-85% and and he seems to love the fog coming in, he's been out and about much more since we hooked it up.

We have a CHE and a light that we filter through some fake plants to make sure it isn't too direct. Ambient temperature is the general air temperature, correct? Has anyone else had an issue of having the air temperature and the substrate temperature being very different? It seems like when we have the air temperature up to the mid 80s, then the substrate temperature goes up to the mid 90s. I'm worried that it's too hot for him since he's always down on the substrate level, but I don't want to lower the air temperature below 80.

Thanks for the help!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I respect and support Zero's approach but really like providing mine a gradient from 84-86ºF at the warm, bright end and 80ºF at the cool, dark end. I have the luxury of setting this up because my enclosure is large (4x8x4 feet) but my tortoises are in it 4-6 months/year since we're in the northeast U.S.

I fully, unequivocally agree with closed chambers being the best possible setup for redfoots as it retains the most heat and humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I respect and support Zero's approach but really like providing mine a gradient from 84-86ºF at the warm, bright end and 80ºF at the cool, dark end. I have the luxury of setting this up because my enclosure is large (4x8x4 feet) but my tortoises are in it 4-6 months/year since we're in the northeast U.S.

I fully, unequivocally agree with closed chambers being the best possible setup for redfoots as it retains the most heat and humidity.
Many of us have tried things and found what works for us. No one is incorrect if it is working;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We have half of the top closed and half of it open - we wanted to make sure he had plenty of air circulation. At first it was entirely open but we were having issues maintaining humidity so we covered half of the top and hooked up a humidifier which has done the trick. Our humidity is now always between 75-85% and and he seems to love the fog coming in, he's been out and about much more since we hooked it up.

We have a CHE and a light that we filter through some fake plants to make sure it isn't too direct. Ambient temperature is the general air temperature, correct? Has anyone else had an issue of having the air temperature and the substrate temperature being very different? It seems like when we have the air temperature up to the mid 80s, then the substrate temperature goes up to the mid 90s. I'm worried that it's too hot for him since he's always down on the substrate level, but I don't want to lower the air temperature below 80.

Thanks for the help!
Lights or even a CHE will indeed make warmer and cooler areas. Not much you can do about that.
I suppose that directly under my florescent lamp that there is a slight temperature gradient difference. So in that fact, I'm actually wrong.
I sometimes take a little for granted. For example, my Redfoot are at this moment outside in the sun with high humidity................