Question about cedar wood tank stand

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Good afternoon 🐢
I just bought a 60x24x18 open front tank for my Indian Start Tortoise 🐢 Squirt. My husband will be building a stand to put this tank on. I know cedar should never be used IN tortoise habitat but can cedar be used for a stand for the tank to sit on? The heat source I use is a regular candescent bulb during the day and a ceramic heat element at night. Both heat sources are suspended overhead using a stand

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpeg
    IMG_3101.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good afternoon 🐢
I just bought a 60x24x18 open front tank for my Indian Start Tortoise 🐢 Squirt. My husband will be building a stand to put this tank on. I know cedar should never be used IN tortoise habitat but can cedar be used for a stand for the tank to sit on? The heat source I use is a regular candescent bulb during the day and a ceramic heat element at night. Both heat sources are suspended overhead using a stand
Cedar should be fine in this application, but why? Much easier to use conventionally available wood.

Your CHE should be controlled by a thermostat and "on" all the time. If the basking lamp makes enough heat on its own during the day, the CHE will remain off, but ready, should the temperature drop.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
Cedar should be fine in this application, but why? Much easier to use conventionally available wood.

Your CHE should be controlled by a thermostat and "on" all the time. If the basking lamp makes enough heat on its own during the day, the CHE will remain off, but ready, should the temperature drop.
Cedar smells 😊 good