Question about Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Hey, A quick question about bedding.

This would be the Coconut Coir Bedding right?

514177.jpg

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Yes, that is one type of it. Another way to buy it is in a brick which you soak in water to re-hydrate. The bricks are usually cheaper and can be bought in large quantities online for cheap. The loose stuff in the bag like you show is an easier way to go. If you do get the bricks, follow the instructions and use a very large bucket. Hot water works better. Let it dry out a bit before putting the tort in, although you do want it moist, just not wet (when you pick up a handful and squeeze it, no water should come out but it should hold its shape). You will need to add water to the coconut fiber substrate every couple days. The easiest way in most people's opinion is to pour a pitcher of water in and mix it up with your hands. Best wishes.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Coconut coir is a good addition to other substrate materials but most peole don't use it as a stand alone substrate. Mixing water into it is a good idea but even in doing so it stll dries out very quickly especially with the heat and lights associated with most tortoise enclosures.
It gets so dry in a very short period of time that it will often produce dust when tortoises walk through it or it is disturbed which leaves a fine dust on everything nearby, which also means that they are breathing it in. In addition, when it gets too dry, it gets very loose and gives less support for tortoises to walk on.
I mix it with organic potting soil and ground up sphagnum moss. The combination absorbs and retains more moisture then either of them alone and it gives a solid substrate for them to walk on and burrow into. It never completely dries out either if it's sprayed twice a day. I've never had to pour water in and mix the substrate up. It's always semi-moist. To some degree the amount of moisture it will retain depends upon the ambient temperature in the enclosure and room that it's in.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
GBtortoises said:
Coconut coir is a good addition to other substrate materials but most peole don't use it as a stand alone substrate. Mixing water into it is a good idea but even in doing so it stll dries out very quickly especially with the heat and lights associated with most tortoise enclosures.
It gets so dry in a very short period of time that it will often produce dust when tortoises walk through it or it is disturbed which leaves a fine dust on everything nearby, which also means that they are breathing it in. In addition, when it gets too dry, it gets very loose and gives less support for tortoises to walk on.
I mix it with organic potting soil and ground up sphagnum moss. The combination absorbs and retains more moisture then either of them alone and it gives a solid substrate for them to walk on and burrow into. It never completely dries out either if it's sprayed twice a day. I've never had to pour water in and mix the substrate up. It's always semi-moist. To some degree the amount of moisture it will retain depends upon the ambient temperature in the enclosure and room that it's in.

I've been reading all your posts about organic soil mixed with coco coir and am really interested. I've always used 50% sand but now I'm rethinking it. I am worried about it holding too much moisture for torts needing a drier environment (golden greels for example.) Do you use it with all your species? Thanks for your insight!

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I use organic soil mixed with coco coir and love it. Stays nice and moist and I wet it down every other day. Never had a problem with it being dusty. I buy it by the brick at petco, very inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.