Hoping to Reuse Old Fluorescent Lamp

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
When I built my new tortoise enclosure, I switched over to a mercury vapor UVB for him. I still have my old lamp sitting around; it still works. Just curious if my old fluorescent bulb is OK for me to use on cloudy days (for so-called "seasonal affective disorder")? Sometimes I just feel a little down and it seemed to help the one time I put it on.

Here's my old bulb:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006346GA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If they are outside one cloudy day will not hurt nothing. Even on a cloudy day you can get Sun burn so the uv is there .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this to help you or your torts? Sounds like it helped you when you were down. I'm not getting it. Anyway, yes you can use it for lighting. If it has been used for 6 months or more, the UVB will not be good, but the use of it for lighting will be fine. Also, as already said, they can still go outside on cloudy days, and yes, will still get some UVB.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yes, the lamp is for me. Sorry for the confusion! I know it sounds silly. But I heard there was evidence it could cause some eye problems in tortoises and I wanted to see if anyone here knew if the same goes for humans? I assume not but I thought I'd ask. We tend to get a lot of cloudy days in the winter where I live and even going outside doesn't seem to perk me up much. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think that one bulb has enough light or intensity to accomplish the job you are trying to accomplish. However, I don't think it will hurt anything either.