Quantity of water drank when thirsty?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Does anyone know how much water a boxer can drink at one sitting? I'm watching little Matilda this morning drink from her 4" diameter bowl....and she craned her head to just touch the water and drank and drank and drank, like Prudence(if you are a parent, you'll remember her). I could actually tell the level had dropped when she stopped! I suspect she may have drank up to 1/2oz but I defer to those that know mare than I.

?? Anyone?

jeff

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks Maro...LOL...a lot of views....someone finally tossed me a bone.....you're very kind!

I realized after I posted that turtles/torts can absorb water from the rear as well which opens even a bigger question;

Do they drink more from the front or rear?

Geez, sometimes I make myself feel pretty uneducated with so many questions and very few answers!

Tangent; Matilda took that piece of meat we played tug of war with all the way across her pen to the front of her fitting so she an sit in the fitting facing out, and eat. I've never seen torts or turtles move food. Especially so far with obvious intent! Or more likely, I'm personifying her.....

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... I'll bet they can conjure up even more than they drink ? and it's a lot. I had a little boxie that would soak your shoe if you didn't carry her on a towel. That's why I always say box turtles don't like to fly. ?I learned by watching a guy that thought he knew about her. I even tried to warn him ? Daisy May doesn't like to fly ? I just thought ok ? and watched when he thought he knew the animal better than me. Well... and it was a pretty deep flood down the leg into the shoe.??

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow 10' Len, that's exactly the behavior I'm talking about. I had never witnessed it before so I guess I learned my "new thing for the day"! Box turtles will carry food.....who da thunk? Thanks for posting that buddy!