Quantity of food to feed, how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Thanks for helping me with this question. We have had this little T. g. ibera for almost a month now and his appetite is good. Been feeding all the good things listed here in the forum. I have been giving him 2 feedings per day. His appetite is better in the morning, he eats, but less so in the evening.

My question(s),

How many times per day is ok

How much at a feeding?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi!

I don't keep greeks, so until an experienced person responds, I'd say if your tortoise is an adult, I would say a feeding in the morning with a "snack" in the afternoon is good since this seems to be what he wants to eat:) I feed my leopards in the morning, but they graze off and on throughout the day. I feed my yearling 2x a day, but give him less in the afternoon because he never finishes that meal. Hope that helps.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
katesgoey said:
Hi!

I don't keep greeks, so until an experienced person responds, I'd say if your tortoise is an adult, I would say a feeding in the morning with a "snack" in the afternoon is good since this seems to be what he wants to eat:) I feed my leopards in the morning, but they graze off and on throughout the day. I feed my yearling 2x a day, but give him less in the afternoon because he never finishes that meal. Hope that helps.

Thanks Sandy,

I appreciate your take on it.:)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I think the more important question is how is his weight doing? If you post the weight and SCL someone can give you an opinion of if he needs to be fed more, less, or the same. Most people would feed a young tort once or twice a day, an an adult once a day or even every other day. Some people also stick to a rule of 20-30 minutes whatever the tort can eat, or a certain amount of food.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Weight is important, so if the tort isn't eating all it is given in the afternoon, then I would feed him/her more in the morning if the weight is lower than it should be.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Weight was 82% 2 weeks ago. I am hoping there has been an increase. I will offer him whatever he can eat twice a day...and snacks here and there.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
When encouraging a tort to gain weight, some people will also offer more high calorie foods like Mazuri. Good steady growth is what you aim for, so just keep an eye on it over time and don't rush if it's he's eating heartily, gaining weight, and has no health problems (vet check up with fecal test). Best wishes.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
When encouraging a tort to gain weight, some people will also offer more high calorie foods like Mazuri. Good steady growth is what you aim for, so just keep an eye on it over time and don't rush if it's he's eating heartily, gaining weight, and has no health problems (vet check up with fecal test). Best wishes.

Thanks, We are waiting for a fecal specimen. The vet is available Wed and Fri, I work every other Wed Fri...so hopefully we will get some good poo next week!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sounds like a great idea to check that out for peace of mind. I also recommend getting a follow up test about 3 months after the first one to be sure. The life cycles of some parasites will have them not show up the first time (happened to my tort).

Status
Not open for further replies.