Mazuri quantity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Ok, so everything has gone through, and I am going with Reid (I thought he said his name was Rich, my mistake hah, bad reception on the phone), who is the guy with the 5 month old torts.

He has been really busy with work and getting his internet situation fixed so we didnt get to talk much until today. Turns out he owns this website here.

www.socalreptiles.com (reptiles, not reptile)

And he has many good feedback on Faunaclassifieds.

Anyways, he also has Mazuri and I am curious. If Mazuri lasts like 8-12months or so, how many Lbs would I go through, if it was more of a supplement 1-2 times a week? This is for the 5 month old leopard i'm getting.

I plan to add it in for variety and nutrients, especially if he doesnt eat grass right off.

And how many pieces should I give as a supplement per feeding (when I feed him Mazuri anyways)? Like 1 soaked piece in water?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rob, as you know I don't own leos but my young golden greek (newly named pumpkin head) I just weighed and measured him and his wt is 110 g and lenght 6 cm (2.36 in) I am starting him on mazuri an I dampen and handfeed him one nugget twice a week. This way he is getting use to it and still eating his greens. I will increase this to two in a few weeks to see how he does.
By the way careful when soaking it it will turn to mush quickly.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Rob, as you know I don't own leos but my young golden greek (newly named pumpkin head) I just weighed and measured him and his wt is 110 g and lenght 6 cm (2.36 in) I am starting him on mazuri an I dampen and handfeed him one nugget twice a week. This way he is getting use to it and still eating his greens. I will increase this to two in a few weeks to see how he does.

Oh ok, then I'll just dampen it like you said, thanks!

I will probably try 1-2 nuggets a week as well to start with.

I don't want to buy way more than he'll eat. What I might do is buy 1lb, just to see if he even likes it and see how long it lasts.

Do PetCo/PetSmart have the stuff too or mainly just online?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rob, I have never seen it at Petco or Petsmart (mine do not carry it) but some feed and grain stores sell it. I usually get a 5 lb bag when I go to a reptile show, but I have many more torts than you I would think trying 1 lb would be more than enough. also if you find yours will not eat it you can grind it in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it on damp greens for additional nutrition. It will keep about a year or so if frozen/refrigerated.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
ok,,,,,mazuri says feed 1-4% of body weight per tort per day.feed consumption will vary with the temperature.feed with grass ,hay,fruits,vegies and greens depending on your species.hope this was helpfull. please do not freeze!!!!!!keep it sealed and dry. mazuri puts no shelf life on it but i would not buy anymore than you need.it is in dry pellet form.if it is not ,,,throw it out. frank 9143918516

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have never heard anyone to say do not freeze. I have heard this was fine. I do so and it has looked fine. Any further information on the no freezing?

I wet mine for about 10 seconds, and then microwave it and mush it up with my fingers. One pellet with greens for my hatchling. One pound is going to have some tossed before we come close to using it. I would order online for ease rather than calling around to have it special ordered (typically only the 25 pound bag anyways!), and then have to pick it up.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Rob,

I will give my guys 1 or 2 pellets along with their greens each day. If you want to see if your new guy likes it before you buy several pounds, I'll send you a little bit so you can try it out. Just let me know once your new guy arrives. :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Greg T said:
Rob,

I will give my guys 1 or 2 pellets along with their greens each day. If you want to see if your new guy likes it before you buy several pounds, I'll send you a little bit so you can try it out. Just let me know once your new guy arrives. :)

Thanks. I actually got some from reid in a baggy. I would say maybe 50-60 pieces. I'm going to try it tomorrow. From what he says, they are all already eating grasses, hays, mazuri and all kinds of greens/weeds.

So tomorrow i'm going outside, picking some dandelions, white clover and some crab/quack grass, along with trying a Mazuri piece. See how he does.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
Crazy1 said:

What is wrong if Mazuri gets to mushy?Is it harmful to tortoises?
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nothing is wrong. It is just messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.