Pyramiding?

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Recently I have seen loads of pictures of poor tortoises with their shells pyramiding, I just wanted to see it anyone could assess my torts just to check that they're not pyramiding? All advice is welcomed, thank you :)

Attachments

• 1407059270094.jpg
    1407059270094.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 1407059290192.jpg
    1407059290192.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 97

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
They loom awesome! From what I understand, pyramiding usually occurs in new hatchlings and juveniles under 1 yr old. Yours look grown, so unless they develop some kind of disorder, or undergo some extreme change in their environment, or drastic dietary change, which can cause pyramiding, their shells will remain healthy.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They loom awesome! From what I understand, pyramiding usually occurs in new hatchlings and juveniles under 1 yr old.

You understand incorrectly. Pyramiding can happen anytime there is growth in conditions that are too dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Recently I have seen loads of pictures of poor tortoises with their shells pyramiding, I just wanted to see it anyone could assess my torts just to check that they're not pyramiding? All advice is welcomed, thank you :)

Your tortoises look fine. If there is any pyramiding it is minor and inconsequential. To really assess it we need profile pics from the side.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
This is a side profile of Hermie, he's the one I'm mostly concerned about. Thank you for all the advice so far though!:)

Attachments

• 1407087338962.jpg
    1407087338962.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 59

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Well there heat space is at 35 and there cooler area is at 20, I'm not sure about the humidity? :(

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Yes, there needs to be moisture in the substrate. Sand isn't good for many reasons. Use coconut coir instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This the stuff? And is it safe if its accidentally eaten? As in it won't block them up

That is one option and no it won't block them up, but sand will.

Your tortoise has mild pyramiding from its overly dry environment. Adding some moderate humidity, a humid hide, and frequent shell spraying can help future growth come in smoother.

Are they living as a pair? That isn't doing them any good either.