Pyramiding?

TuttleTime55

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
During bathtub today, I noticed my sulcatas shell might be starting to pyramid a bit. Anyone else agree?

Attachments

• 20210316_144323.jpg
    20210316_144323.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210316_144336.jpg
    20210316_144336.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210316_144355.jpg
    20210316_144355.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
Manchester
There does seem to be some signs of pyramiding there - can’t reverse but can help promote smooth future growth if you make changes now! :)

What are your humidity levels / current light set up like?

TuttleTime55

Florida
I use 2 zoo med powersun bulbs when he is indoors. Humidity ranges between 80-90% I do plan on moving him outdoors soon though.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Think about his calcium intake, and I could be wrong, but I'm thinking those bulbs are responsible for desiccating carapaces. He has a very mild pyramiding you can stop it now with changes to his care. You're in Florida, why isn't he outside now?

TuttleTime55

Florida
Think about his calcium intake, and I could be wrong, but I'm thinking those bulbs are responsible for desiccating carapaces. He has a very mild pyramiding you can stop it now with changes to his care. You're in Florida, why isn't he outside now?
I've been nervous about putting him outside because of predators. I live in an extremely rural area but I think it's time for me to build him his own tortoise fort outdoors for his health and safety.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
During bathtub today, I noticed my sulcatas shell might be starting to pyramid a bit. Anyone else agree?
Definitely pyramiding and its almost certainly due to the MVBs. Those shouldn't be used over tortoises.

Most of the care info given for this species is wrong. Here is the correct care info:

He looks big enough to live outside full time. I was just in FL last weekend (It was MAGNIFICENT and I want to move there...) and it was actually pretty cool. I was surprised to see the temp at 59 degrees in the Ft. Meyers area when I got up in the morning. This is too cool for a sulcata overnight, especially in your humidity. Here is how you solve this problem, and keep your tortoise safe at night all at the same time: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/single-tortoise-night-box.181515/

Here is another way to do a little bigger box with a different heating strategy. You could make a two sided pen with a divider in the middle and let the tortoise graze one side while the other side recovers. Swap sides periodically and re-seed the grass. You'd never have to "feed" you tortoise this way! Just open the door each morning of the side you want your tortoise to graze: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

TuttleTime55

Florida
Thank you for all the helpful info! Yes during our "winter" months there are some low temperatures for a day or two. But mostly it's perfect weather for reptiles.

Reactions: Tom